Question Fan making noise at high speeds only

Sep 21, 2024
I recently swapped out a few fans on my desktop and suddenly there is a spinning or winding noise when one of the fans ramps up to higher speeds. I don't think it's any of the new fans that I added.

One thing and the only thing I can think of is that when I first started it up I had left a cable loose and it bumped up against my GPU fan and was rattling and making noise. I had to force shutdown of the computer and fixed it immediately but I have heard that a fan can get unbalanced and maybe that's what's making noise? Is there a possibility that I unbalanced my GPU fan and need to somehow reseat it? How would I go about servicing my GPU fan myself?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please pass on the make and models of the fans that you'd swap out as well as the fans you were working with prior.

You might want to roll a sheet of A4 paper, into a cylinder, hold one end of the tube to your ear while the other is used to probe for the source of the noise. While inspecting, try and replicate the RPM that you speak of where you the noise is audible.

Sep 21, 2024
Hi thanks so much for your reply I have bought a case from fractal and the fans I replaced were some factory models from fractal just some simple DC fans they made no noise at all. I have replaced them with fans from Corsair QX140's. I listened with a paper tube and as far as I can tell the sound is coming from my graphics card a Gigabyte 4070 where the fan was rattled against a cable for a few seconds perhaps knocking the fan loose I don't know what happened what should I do?

Sep 21, 2024
I have better information. It is NOT my graphics card, it is a vibration from the case in some area near the front. Is there some way I can still the case so it doesn't vibrate? Putty a crack? Or adhere a bracket?