[SOLVED] Fan noise/curve problem

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Hi, so I've been dealing with my PC sounding like a jet engine ever since I got it in September. I'm about 95% sure it's my Ryzen 3700X's stock cooler making all the noise. I've tried to mess with the fan curve to make it so the CPU cooler fan is off when temps are under 60, and yet for some reason it keeps spinning and the sound fluctuates between near-silent to quite loud while browsing, all while the temps are still under 60 according to Ryzen Master.

I haven't got a clue how to build a PC outside of inserting RAM, but would getting a new cooler like a Dark Rock Slim solve this, assuming it's significantly quieter out of the box? Sick of trying to fix this.

Solution
If your fan (at some special setting you made) was repeatedly stopping and starting up again, here is what was really happening. Most fans (and for sure the CPU_FAN cooler fan) have their speeds monitored carefully by the header for fan FAILURE - that is, no fan speed, or speed below some alarm limit. When that happens, the first thing the header does is set the fan to go full speed so it does re-start. If that succeeds, then the header will send out the previous signal to return to "normal" operations. BUT if the previous signal was to go so slow that it stalled before, it will stall again and keep repeating the sequence. This is a STRONG indication that you tried to set the fan too slow and caused it to stall.

You should also...

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
I am not positive that you can make a CPU fan go zero.
Have you tried some of the fan presets like "silent" as opposed to normal within BIOS?
I have, didn't make much of a difference.

It must be able to turn off, because when I was fiddling with it before, the fan kept stopping completely and starting up repeatedly every few seconds when I just wanted it to be lower.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If your fan (at some special setting you made) was repeatedly stopping and starting up again, here is what was really happening. Most fans (and for sure the CPU_FAN cooler fan) have their speeds monitored carefully by the header for fan FAILURE - that is, no fan speed, or speed below some alarm limit. When that happens, the first thing the header does is set the fan to go full speed so it does re-start. If that succeeds, then the header will send out the previous signal to return to "normal" operations. BUT if the previous signal was to go so slow that it stalled before, it will stall again and keep repeating the sequence. This is a STRONG indication that you tried to set the fan too slow and caused it to stall.

You should also understand that you really should NEVER have your CPU cooler stopped, no matter what the CPU internal temperature is.

It is NORMAL as your workload fluctuates (and hence heat generated inside the CPU and elsewhere) that the fans will change speeds - that is what the automatic control system is supposed to do for you. IF you find that the high speed condition under heavy workload is too loud, you MIGHT be able to limit that high speed with a custom fan "curve" setting in BIOS Setup for the noisy fan. You believe that is the CPU cooler. BUT you need to realize that the CPU may actually NEED that much cooling at high workloads. So if limiting the max speed of that CPU fan it not practical, your option to reduce the noise is really to replace that fan with another cooler system that provides as much or more airflow, but at lower nosie generated. The noise-versus-speed thing is a function of the fan DESIGN, so a different fan with better specs is your route out of this.

Solution