Question Fan position matter?

Apr 7, 2019
Hello everyone, I want to ask a begineer question as a new pc builder.

Recently, i bought phanteks p350x which includes 120mm case fan on front, and so I moved it to the rear. Then i bought 3 140mm ph-f140sp case fan.
At first I put 2 intake fans in front and 1 exhaust 140mm fan on top and 120mm on rear as I mentioned, put them on max rpm using dc controlled on bios (12v) when cpu temp at 55°c. My cpu temp went 55°c when playing games, but i saw gpu throttling at 90°c and gpu clock at 1200ish (supposed to be 1300ish).

So for experiment, I changed 1 intake fan which blowed directly to cpu to the top so there are 3 exhaust fans now and 1 intake fan. The gpu temp is still 90°c but its not that throttling as the clock is 1300ish mhz. But then the cpu clock is somewhat increased 56-57°c, sometimes 59°c.

Is this bad? Do i need to purchase 1 more fan so that I will use all of the case fan configuration? I am typically using the pc just for games such as r6, csgo, apex legends, bf1 etc
Thank you and sorry for bothering you guys for such noob question. :D

Specs :
Cpu : 2200g (oc'ed at 3800mhz 1.35v)
Cpu cooler : cryorig h7 (at 70% rpm for 50°c)
Motherboard : msi bazooka b350m
Gpu : msi rx 580 armor k1 8gb
Ram : v-gen 8gb (3200mhz)
Hard drive : samsung evo 860 250gb

rascalov

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Hello.
First of all, be sure that the orientation of your fans is ok. Watch out for the arrows marked on the plastic that holds the fan. Verify that the arrow of intake is oriented to the case and the arrow of exhaust fan is oriented outside of your case.
In my case, I have 2 intake fans and 3 exhaust fans + cooler for CPU. I connected all the fans to power supply so I keep them at full RPM.

Apr 7, 2019
Hello.
First of all, be sure that the orientation of your fans is ok. Watch out for the arrows marked on the plastic that holds the fan. Verify that the arrow of intake is oriented to the case and the arrow of exhaust fan is oriented outside of your case.
In my case, I have 2 intake fans and 3 exhaust fans + cooler for CPU. I connected all the fans to power supply so I keep them at full RPM.
Hi, thanks for your feedback.
I am sure that intake and exhaust fans are in correct position and orientation.
You put your cpu cooler to psu or fan header?
I just want to know if my current fan configuration is enough or do I need to put them back to last position where i had 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans? Right now it is only 1 intake fan and remaining on exhaust.

Aug 2, 2019
with 3 exhaust and 1 intake you are creating a negative air pressure in the case. That's why your temp on cpu went up. You effective cut down on the amount of fresh air it is getting.

Apr 7, 2019
that case looks like it is built for airflow not neg pressure. moving it back to 2 and 2 would be better.
Ok, I guess that might work. Can you recommend me the setup for the fans? What percentage should I use for cpu fan etc? I dont mind put all case fans to max rpm because I use headset while gaming. They dont bother me anyway, I just wanna know if I can put my cpu and gpu temp a little bit better for better experience :D
Thank you

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your case really has space for five fans max. I prefer a balance of intake vs exhaust, or even better more intake than exhaust. BUT the locations of each fan also are important in setting which direction they cause air to flow. In your case, the fronts (only two possible) need to be intakes, and the rear (only one) exhaust. The tops (two possible) could be either, However, if you made the two tops intakes also, the air flow from them would be sweeping right past the only (rear) exhaust and then down over the entire mobo before reaching the graphics card at mid-board or lower. THEN it would have to reverse and join the incoming air from the front intakes to try to get through to the only (rear) exhaust. NOT a good air flow path. Much better to make the tops AND the rear exhausts, and the front intakes, even if that does not quite match my own preference of "ideal".

So, at minimum, return your four fans to two front intakes, one rear and one top exhaust. If you add a fifth fan, make it a top exhaust also, and it WILL help to increase overall air flow. In any case, make sure that there is a fan in the LOWER front position for intake, which is the position closest to the graphics card.

You could consider one other option. the two front fan locations each CAN accept the larger 140mm fan size. A pair of those as intakes might increase your air flow more than a pair of 120 mm fans.

Apr 7, 2019
Your case really has space for five fans max. I prefer a balance of intake vs exhaust, or even better more intake than exhaust. BUT the locations of each fan also are important in setting which direction they cause air to flow. In your case, the fronts (only two possible) need to be intakes, and the rear (only one) exhaust. The tops (two possible) could be either, However, if you made the two tops intakes also, the air flow from them would be sweeping right past the only (rear) exhaust and then down over the entire mobo before reaching the graphics card at mid-board or lower. THEN it would have to reverse and join the incoming air from the front intakes to try to get through to the only (rear) exhaust. NOT a good air flow path. Much better to make the tops AND the rear exhausts, and the front intakes, even if that does not quite match my own preference of "ideal".

So, at minimum, return your four fans to two front intakes, one rear and one top exhaust. If you add a fifth fan, make it a top exhaust also, and it WILL help to increase overall air flow. In any case, make sure that there is a fan in the LOWER front position for intake, which is the position closest to the graphics card.

You could consider one other option. the two front fan locations each CAN accept the larger 140mm fan size. A pair of those as intakes might increase your air flow more than a pair of 120 mm fans.
Guess you are right, I might need tu put 1 more 140mm fan for intake Front case for overall airflow performance.. thanks for that!
I am just curious to see if I can make my gpu temp lower than 89°c everytime I game.. but I guess there is nothing I can do for MSI armor as it said to be worst cooling of rx 580 on the market..

Apr 7, 2019
Guess you are right, I might need tu put 1 more 140mm fan for intake Front case for overall airflow performance.. thanks for your overall information, appreciate it man!

I am just curious to see if I can make my gpu temp lower than 89°c everytime I game.. but I guess there is nothing I can do for MSI armor as it said to be worst cooling of rx 580 on the market..

rascalov

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Hi, thanks for your feedback.
I am sure that intake and exhaust fans are in correct position and orientation.
You put your cpu cooler to psu or fan header?
I just want to know if my current fan configuration is enough or do I need to put them back to last position where i had 2 intake fans and 2 exhaust fans? Right now it is only 1 intake fan and remaining on exhaust.
Hello. You must connect cooler to CPU_FAN header on your motherboard to control its rotations with PWM from BIOS/UEFI. To SYSTEM_FAN1/SYSTEM_FAN2 you connect fans with 4 pins with controlled PWM also from Windows program. If you want to control it, no problem you can plug it in a molex (2 pin : 12V and GND) directly to your PSU. If you plug diretly with molex to PSU you will run them at full speed, just like you said that you don't mind because you're using headset for gaming. And mount fans front to intake air and back fans to exhaust air. Hot air goes to rooftop of the case.

TRENDING THREADS