Question Fan replacement

argitis

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
So the fan of my graphic card (Sapphire radeon r7 250x) completely broke off. The current fan is from Asus and I believe it is the fan that came with the graphic card. I live in europe and with the current shortage and price spikes in the graphics card area, I'm looking for a fix. Any suggestions/thoughts/ideas on either a replacement or where to find the exact one?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Take the exact card name, type into ebay add "Replacement Fan" and you should find a match pretty quickly. Take a close look at the connectors and mount holes.

If it is a single fan card like it sounds like, you could also just strap a 120mm case fan to it. Doesn't have to be pretty.

argitis

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
The problem is that the case that encloses the fan is also broken (not completely), so the 120mm case fan seems to be the answer. But, how do I strap that in? Is it going to fit with the screw holes?

Post update to my above answer: Are zip ties a solution? For the strapping

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So the fan of my graphic card (Sapphire radeon r7 250x) completely broke off. The current fan is from Asus and I believe it is the fan that came with the graphic card. I live in europe and with the current shortage and price spikes in the graphics card area, I'm looking for a fix. Any suggestions/thoughts/ideas on either a replacement or where to find the exact one?
This don't look the best but works. Depends on the fan/fans on the card as to what size fan to buy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQHAMz1v5g

argitis

Prominent
Nov 3, 2021
So update to the thread. Need your help again. I got the Arctic P12 PWM PST fan but the pin is not the correct one. It's a 4-pin but it does not fit into the socket in the card. My question: Do I go for another fan and try and find the correct 4-pin or could I find an adaptor that could actually make the pin fit?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
So update to the thread. Need your help again. I got the Arctic P12 PWM PST fan but the pin is not the correct one. It's a 4-pin but it does not fit into the socket in the card. My question: Do I go for another fan and try and find the correct 4-pin or could I find an adaptor that could actually make the pin fit?

Connect the fan to the motherboard.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
why dont you check aliexpress search for replacement fans. just make sure you match the fan size and the specs on the back of the old fans.

That ship sailed a long time ago, and was already suggested. For lower end cards the fans are generally quite small, lots of video cards can be cooled more effectively this way, and be quieter. I recall doing it to a Radeon 4850x2 a long time ago, was a great success (though the card did die later, it had been run for a while some of the fan blades missing, that probably didn't help matters)

In the Linus Tech Tip video they also got impressive results, particularly with the blower cooler.

Also that recent Noctua branded card, where they basically strapped two A12x25 fans to a GPU (they modified the heatsink a little bit to optimize) and it is one of the quieter 30 series cards on the market.

Most people have plenty of room to make the GPU a little thicker.