Question Fan speed won't go below 59%

Jan 9, 2020
I just assembled a new pc and am having a fan issue with the graphics card.

Windows 10
MB Gigabyte B450 pro wifi
CPU 2600x
gigabyte geforce gtx 1650 super 4gb (non windforce)

The system is at idle, and the temp for the graphics card is 24C. However, the fan is spinning at 59%. It will drop (to what I presume is 30%) when I'm in the startup bios. but as soon as windows loads, it goes up to 59%. Aorus Engine shows the fan speed curve should have the fan spinning at 30% at this temperature. Any adjustments will not lower the fan speed, but I can increase the fan speed. MSI afterburner shows 59% fan speed as the lowest possible speed that can be set manually.

At 59%, the fan is REALLY LOUD. Obnoxiously loud, especially for an idling PC.

I also currently have the computer on my bench and not in a case. Might that make a difference?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

May 12, 2020
Same here. I just installed my Gigabyte 1650 Super OC (single fan) and I also noticed it is quite loud! below 30 Celsius degrees and fan at 59% is a bit noisy. in game I tested at 50 degrees and did not run faster but on idle PC the noise is too much IMO. Did anyone manage to set fan at 0% on idle PC?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020
Same here. I just installed my Gigabyte 1650 Super OC (single fan) and I also noticed it is quite loud! below 30 Celsius degrees and fan at 59% is a bit noisy. in game I tested at 50 degrees and did not run faster but on idle PC the noise is too much IMO. Did anyone manage to set fan at 0% on idle PC?
I actually asked Gigabyte to provide vBIOS with more sensible fan curve and their answer was that it's not possible because this card "does not have 3D fan".

Unbelievable <Mod Edit> if you ask me. I ended up ordering Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM which I'm controlling from MB header. Now the card is as cool and quiet as that 5 penny block of aluminium allows it to be. Before that I also tried and failed to install Arctic Cooling Accelero Mono Plus but this card has some funky mounting hole spacing so none of the 5 options on the Arctic mounting plate didn't match.

I mean I definitely learned my lesson and will not be buying Gigabyte GPUs in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 12, 2020
Hi Inehmo thanks for your reply.
Do you mean you removed the GPU fan completely (if so how?) and added a side fan to keep it cool? I would consider this if you say it worked well for you.

In fact I just saw some post that the 59% speed is set by default and cannot be reduced. I opened a ticket to Gigabyte to ask if this is the case. I am seriously thinking to return the card (will lose some money though) and buy same card from another brand - assuming no fan speed issue there, as the 1650S is a good fit for me, on paper. Very disappointed from Gigabyte here! I was running on R9 380x for Years with no issue and so silent. This Gigabyte is so noisy after 30 minutes I decided to remove from case now.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020
Hi Inehmo thanks for your reply.
Do you mean you removed the GPU fan completely (if so how?) and added a side fan to keep it cool? I would consider this if you say it worked well for you.

In fact I just saw some post that the 59% speed is set by default and cannot be reduced. I opened a ticket to Gigabyte to ask if this is the case. I am seriously thinking to return the card (will lose some money though) and buy same card from another brand - assuming no fan speed issue there, as the 1650S is a good fit for me, on paper. Very disappointed from Gigabyte here! I was running on R9 380x for Years with no issue and so silent. This Gigabyte is so noisy after 30 minutes I decided to remove from case now.
Yeah I couldn't use the card either with the default fan. It's just unreasonably loud.

The fan is held in with just 3 small screws. You can see the screw wholes in the picture below. After you unscrew those the fan and plastic shroud will just come off. Then it's just a matter of unplugging the cable.

iz8SLmd.png

I'm using just some doublesided tape to keep the Noctua on top of the heatsink but there are certainly much more elegant solutions if you have some more tools than I have (I don't even own a drill). I think it wouldn't be too difficult to cut the frame out of the Noctua and make small holes on the back frame and just use the original mounting holes and even the shroud. In my case, the GPU is "upside down" so the fan would stay in place with gravity alone if necessary and I've been trying to put my HTPC together since last July so I kind just went "F it, just need to get this machine working again"

I then controll the fan speed with Argus Monitoring software which will raise and lower the fanspeed of one of my MB PWM ports depending on GPU temps. It works really nicely. It's quieter at full blast than the original fan was at that 59%.

May 12, 2020
Hi again. Thanks for the reply. I tested with a Fractal fan and there is a chance it can work properly. I will keep it as a backup option for now.
Meantime I managed to change the BIOS and stop fan at 0% under 40°, that is what I wanted. with the BIOS change you can create your curve and run speed as you want. just look for nvflash64_patched_5.590.0 and use BIOS from 1650S WindForce OC. You have to play with the curve a little bit to make it work well, if you stay below 33% the speed tends to go up and down every few seconds - at least for me. You might want to give a try to this too if the fan replacement is not good enough. let me know if you need more info to find a guide for BIOS change.

Reactions: aderol and Inehmo
Apr 3, 2020
Hi again. Thanks for the reply. I tested with a Fractal fan and there is a chance it can work properly. I will keep it as a backup option for now.
Meantime I managed to change the BIOS and stop fan at 0% under 40°, that is what I wanted. with the BIOS change you can create your curve and run speed as you want. just look for nvflash64_patched_5.590.0 and use BIOS from 1650S WindForce OC. You have to play with the curve a little bit to make it work well, if you stay below 33% the speed tends to go up and down every few seconds - at least for me. You might want to give a try to this too if the fan replacement is not good enough. let me know if you need more info to find a guide for BIOS change.
Oh you found a way to modify the BIOS! Apparently I'm still bad at googling as I was only able to find some old software that wasn't supporting new cards.

I will keep this in mind but as I already bought and installed the Noctua, I'll stay with that solution for now.

Thanks for the tip though.

Jun 14, 2020
I just bought that card and i am really struggling to get that sorted, i considered changing the heatsink itself with one from an older card but i am not sure if it will work and then the fan noise will probably stay there.
I am pretty new to flashing video cards and don't really know what to do so could you explain to me how to do it properly and where to get the bios etc?

May 12, 2020
I just bought that card and i am really struggling to get that sorted, i considered changing the heatsink itself with one from an older card but i am not sure if it will work and then the fan noise will probably stay there.
I am pretty new to flashing video cards and don't really know what to do so could you explain to me how to do it properly and where to get the bios etc?

Try this https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/bios-mod-gigabyte-gtx-1650-super.266405/post-4264212

Reactions: Sk8ter
Oct 13, 2020
if you stay below 33% the speed tends to go up and down every few seconds - at least for me
Hey. I also re-flashed the BIOS of my 1650 Super, in which the fan could not rotate slower than 59% and now my cooler spins jerkily if the speed is below 45%. Did you solve this problem with a constant drop in speed to zero for a split second?