Fan wiring

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
I have an Antec Super Lanboy case. It comes with two 120mm fans pre-installed. Each fan has 2 thin wires, one black and one red. The black wire feeds into one of the black wires on a standard 4-pin power connector. The red wire feeds into the yellow wire of a standard 4-pin power connector.
My mobo is a DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D. This mobo has 5 smallish 3-pin fan connectors. Obviously, the big standard power connectors coming from the case fans will not fit into the mobo fan connectors. What do I do?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Connect your 120mm fans to the power supply like they intended and forget that you have spare 3-pin connectors.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
OK. I am plugging my fans into the PSU. However, my PSU does not have fan specific ports. It does have a specific port labeled VGA/HDD. And a specific port for SATA. The other 4 ports are labeled Con1 and Con2 and Con1 and Con2. Can the fans plug into any of the ConX ports? There are a total of six ports on the PSU (counting the SATA and VGA/HDD ports and more counting the cables that plug directly into the mobo). And the cables supplied with the PSU have multiple (molex?) connectors. I just was not sure if all the ports output the same amount of power. My PSU is the SurePower 500W Smart Cable PS from Mad Dog.
I also seem to remember reading somewhere that some video cards require a direct connection to the PSU. I do not see any connectors on my XFX GeForce 6600GT. Am I missing it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All the 4-pin molex connectors should run off the same source, providing the same power at the same voltage. It doesn't matter which one you use for which device.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>