Fans are dependent on CPU usage and not temperature

xgkenny

Commendable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello,
I'm having problems with my fans going 100% whenever my CPU is under heavy load such us stress testing. My motherboard is a SABERTOOTH Z170 S and all my fans are Noctua NFF12 Industrial-PPC (max 3000 RPM). I currently am not using any software to control my fans.
Thank you!

Solution
Yeah so an update to what I said, I had a look at your motherboard manual:

ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S

Page 3-7. This clearly shows the fan profiles are Fan Duty Cycle % on the Y axis and Temperature on the X axis.

If you have concerns about your fan control, go into the UEFI and adjust Q-Fan for any or all the fans. Particularly the most offensive ones. There are four predesignated profiles (Standard, Silent, Turbo and Full) and then you have the option of using a Custom profile.
This is unusual, though I'm not out and out saying your wrong. I've spent a lot of time in ASUS' UEFI on many of their motherboards and in all of them their Q-Fan profiles are Fan Duty Cycle versus temperature. They use the socket temp and not core temps which means the temp they are using is slower to react and is typically lower than the core temps.

Yeah so an update to what I said, I had a look at your motherboard manual:

ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S

Page 3-7. This clearly shows the fan profiles are Fan Duty Cycle % on the Y axis and Temperature on the X axis.

If you have concerns about your fan control, go into the UEFI and adjust Q-Fan for any or all the fans. Particularly the most offensive ones. There are four predesignated profiles (Standard, Silent, Turbo and Full) and then you have the option of using a Custom profile.

Solution