[SOLVED] fans aren't working

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone
i have a issue with Thermaltake intel 3.0 cooler 240 ( two fans ) , i plugged all the cables ( cpu fan and cpu opt ) put the fans did not work at the end , i reviewed the manual and it didn't help

Solution
On YouTube the unboxing video posted by ThermalTake for the Water 3.0 Extreme S shows that the kit contains a small Splitter (2 arms about 6" long) for use in connecting both rad fans to the CPU_FAN header. Did you get this part with your system?

I also note in that video that they refer to earlier Water 3.0 systems that did NOT have this included. That was because the earlier designs were different with sockets on the side of the PUMP for both fans, PLUS a socket to connect to a mobo USB2 header. However, the new Exetreme S model does not have these, and the pump unit has only one cable that goes to the CPU_OPT header, and no sockets in the side of the pump.

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
each fan on this 240mm radiator will have its own wire to connect to the motherboard, they are case fans just screwed into a radiator so you need to connect the fans to the case fan slots on your motherboard !

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
CountMike is right. The type of fan - high pressure or high air flow - does NOT have ANY impact on where they should plug in on a mobo. I fully expect the fans supplied with this system are high-pressure fans since they are blowing though a radiator.

The central point, though is CONTROL. OP has not made the exact model clear, but since there is no mention of RGB lights and the "3.0" thing is in the name, I will assume it is the ThermalTake Water 3.0 Extreme S system we're talking about. I could not find a manual for that. However, it is clear from other ThermalTake products the intent is this. The PUMP unit should be connected to a CPU_OPT header (or a SYS_FAN header if necessary) and that header should be configured for PWM Mode and constant full speed operation. Then the two FANS on the radiator should be connected to the CPU_FAN header using a Splitter, and that header should be configured to use PWM Mode also (they are PWM fans) and normal automatic control. Thus all control of the CPU internal temperature is done by having the CPU_FAN header change the speed of the two rad fans while the pump always runs full speed.

OP, is that what you have done? A small additional point. On SOME of the ThermalTake systems (but not the Water 3.0 Extreme, I think) they include a small manual box to be used in the cables to the rad fans that allow you to change their speeds. IF you have anything like this, either do not use it (use a simple Splitter instead) or at least ensure it it set always to fast speed. That lets the mobo header do control properly.

Reactions: Electric.Tom
Jul 29, 2019
CountMike is right. The type of fan - high pressure or high air flow - does NOT have ANY impact on where they should plug in on a mobo. I fully expect the fans supplied with this system are high-pressure fans since they are blowing though a radiator.

The central point, though is CONTROL. OP has not made the exact model clear, but since there is no mention of RGB lights and the "3.0" thing is in the name, I will assume it is the ThermalTake Water 3.0 Extreme S system we're talking about. I could not find a manual for that. However, it is clear from other ThermalTake products the intent is this. The PUMP unit should be connected to a CPU_OPT header (or a SYS_FAN header if necessary) and that header should be configured for PWM Mode and constant full speed operation. Then the two FANS on the radiator should be connected to the CPU_FAN header using a Splitter, and that header should be configured to use PWM Mode also (they are PWM fans) and normal automatic control. Thus all control of the CPU internal temperature is done by having the CPU_FAN header change the speed of the two rad fans while the pump always runs full speed.

OP, is that what you have done? A small additional point. On SOME of the ThermalTake systems (but not the Water 3.0 Extreme, I think) they include a small manual box to be used in the cables to the rad fans that allow you to change their speeds. IF you have anything like this, either do not use it (use a simple Splitter instead) or at least ensure it it set always to fast speed. That lets the mobo header do control properly.
Yes I have a small controler but it needs a spliter and it's not available in my country so i have to wait to have it

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
On YouTube the unboxing video posted by ThermalTake for the Water 3.0 Extreme S shows that the kit contains a small Splitter (2 arms about 6" long) for use in connecting both rad fans to the CPU_FAN header. Did you get this part with your system?

I also note in that video that they refer to earlier Water 3.0 systems that did NOT have this included. That was because the earlier designs were different with sockets on the side of the PUMP for both fans, PLUS a socket to connect to a mobo USB2 header. However, the new Exetreme S model does not have these, and the pump unit has only one cable that goes to the CPU_OPT header, and no sockets in the side of the pump.

Solution