[SOLVED] Fans on ASUS Dual 3070 OC do not spin until they hit 60C

May 9, 2020
So I got a new 3070 from ASUS and it has a silent mode feature which is not really needed cause it isn't even loud when the fans spin, but if I don't put it on for some reason the fans spin on and off which is bad for the fans. So I'm basically forced to leave it on silent mode which makes it idle at 40c cause of other components generating heat which isn't too bad I guess but not a nice idle number for an 800$ GPU (Canadian dollars). Then the problem is when I play Minecraft (don't worry I'm using the 3070 for cyberpunk 2077 too) it only uses 40% of the GPU so it still heats up a bit to 55C max and is essentially being passively cooled cause of the beefy cooler. So this is also not a nice temperature and I don't want to damage the longevity of my card.

Now the simple solution would be a custom fan curve however the card doesn't listen to the curve on ASUS GPU Tweak II and it doesn't listen on MSI Afterburner either. So I basically have no control over the fans and can either put it in silent mode or really damage the fans but having them spam on and off (0rpm to 600rpm and back every second).

So my question is what can I do about this to fix it so that it has the fans on when it goes above 40 and not have the fans spam on and off if it's out of silent mode. Basically, how can I make it actually listen to my fan curve? (ALso might I add, I know how to use these programs and I have chosen the toggle that makes it take the fan curve I made but it chooses to ignore it for some reason)

Asus really cheaped out on this card despite its price, sad to see the messed up fans, coil whine, uncontrollable lights, and a subpar unboxing experience.

There is nothing wrong with the card. It works as it's supposed to. The temperatures are alarming if they exceed 90C, with my comfortable zone being no more than 85.

The fans are fine and they will probably outlive the GPU but if you do mind that much you can disable the 0db fan in Asus Tweak and they will always spin. A custom fan curve is also a solution.

I suggest you do nothing as it will not affect performance and even if it affects the longevity of the fans, it's something not expensive to replace. From my experience with 0db fans from the three cards I own for 5+, 4 and 1,5 years, none of them have failed (a total of 8 fans).

May 9, 2020
There is nothing wrong with the card. It works as it's supposed to. The temperatures are alarming if they exceed 90C, with my comfortable zone being no more than 85.

The fans are fine and they will probably outlive the GPU but if you do mind that much you can disable the 0db fan in Asus Tweak and they will always spin. A custom fan curve is also a solution.

I suggest you do nothing as it will not affect performance and even if it affects the longevity of the fans, it's something not expensive to replace. From my experience with 0db fans from the three cards I own for 5+, 4 and 1,5 years, none of them have failed (a total of 8 fans).

Yeah exactly i would totally disable the 0db fan but then the fans just turn on and off and they never listen to my custom fan curve.

If you disable the 0db setting then the fans will always spin and not start and stop. They will remain at the same speed till a certain thermal threshold and then spin faster till they get the temperature down. You need to do that from the Asus Tweak utility and not in MSI afterburner. Using multiple software can confuse things in the system.

May 9, 2020
If you disable the 0db setting then the fans will always spin and not start and stop. They will remain at the same speed till a certain thermal threshold and then spin faster till they get the temperature down. You need to do that from the Asus Tweak utility and not in MSI afterburner. Using multiple software can confuse things in the system.

Yeah, I only have ASUS GPU Tweak II and I can see with hardware monitor CPUID that the fans ramp up to 600rpm then back down to 0rpm constantly when the 0db fan option is off. I can also see that issue visually, basically it's not abiding by the fan curve that I made