fans on power supply or motherboard ?

patriciogregorio

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
hi, is the same connect fans on powersupply than in the motherboard beacause i only have4 cha_fan on my mother and i have 6 fans, so i bought adapters of molex to pin is the same right ?

Solution
It depends on what fans you got, and MB too. If the two fans will draw more than 1Amp from the fan_header on old version MB, the fans can kill the MB because they over draw power. Keep in mind, some of newer MB will have 2Amp fan_header.

So check the fan/MB specification first, if the fans don't draw more 1Amp or the MB has 2Amp fan_header, you can buy the fan Y-splitter https://www.overclockers.co.uk/media/image/thumbnail/WC551EK_89194_800x800.jpg Otherwise use the PSU for your fans.
No. Fans connected to the PSU will always be supplied with max power. Not a big deal if you bought BeQuiet Silent Wings, huge deal if you're running Noctua Industrial fans.

Fans connected to the motherboard can be controlled in terms of speed so they don't run at full power (and noise) when they aren't needed to.

Best is to buy a splitter for your mainboard headers.
But if you already got the molex connectors and your fans are fairly quiet, just use them.

patriciogregorio

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

and how to use all the fans bby motherboard ? i rad about asus fan extension but i cant find it on amaazon or something

It depends on what fans you got, and MB too. If the two fans will draw more than 1Amp from the fan_header on old version MB, the fans can kill the MB because they over draw power. Keep in mind, some of newer MB will have 2Amp fan_header.

So check the fan/MB specification first, if the fans don't draw more 1Amp or the MB has 2Amp fan_header, you can buy the fan Y-splitter https://www.overclockers.co.uk/media/image/thumbnail/WC551EK_89194_800x800.jpg Otherwise use the PSU for your fans.

Solution

patriciogregorio

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

how to know the amp ? i use the asus formula ix btw and the fan are generic but i will probably change it for some noctua/corsair

patriciogregorio

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

so buy a fan controller for mb to fan ? some suggest ty btw xd

Some of them has 6 channel so that you can connect all 6 fans, but make sure your case has a free 5.25" bay. Like NZXT SEN-MIX2 Sentry Mix 2

And you can use one fan controller, and connect other two fans into two fan_headers on your MB too.

patriciogregorio

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

fan_heaader ? u mean cha_fan ?