Question Fans running at full speed with Asus B450-F

AxelMagnus

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
My computer is about a month old by now, and about a week ago, fans started spinning at full speed. Before that time, I installed Argus Monitor to software control the fans because the ramping was too erratic. Argus still does its job, but now every time I turn on and off my computer, the fans ramp up to the absolute max.

What's going on here?

I checked for BIOS updates, but I have not updated it as the version that came with the motherboard was already the latest. Motherboard is Asus Rog Strix Gaming B450-F. I have of course also checked the fan curves in Fan control in the BIOS. I've played around with them a lot the entire time, so it seems the fan control has just suddenly stopped working altogether.

Argus seems to be working fine, and I can not spot any wild temperatures anywhere.

ThePegass

Reputable
Sep 13, 2016
Hi. I've just find your post. I have Asus TUF B450M Gaming Pro and I have the same problem with Argus. I have been usign Argus for week or more but the problem appeared yesterday. Or maybe I didnt noticed before. After many configuration changes a I found something. Fans are spinnig full speed only when fan(s) are Argus controller and after restart PC. Complete PC turn off/on is ok. Another finding. When I exit Argus (exit option directly in the Argus) first before pc restart, then fans are correctly controled by bios after pc restart (until Argus is loaded and control is overrided). When Argus is killed e.g. during restart or from task manager then fans are at full speen on next boot. For some reason killing Argus doesnt revert control back to bios, so that theres no control on the next boot until Argust starts again. During that time fans are at full speed. E.g my CPU fan is 900rpm when bios controlled and 450rpm when Argus controlled. When exit argus from the menu, bios takes control and rpm is again 900. When kill Argus, rmp is 450. So no Argus control, no bios control??? Can you check what happened if you exit Argus before restart?

May 16, 2020
Hi,

I would like to answer here, but for more direct support I would suggest you contact us directly.
First of all, Argus Monitor restores the settings that were active when it was started. This happens both when you exit it normally but also if you either shutdown the system or if you send it to standby/hibernation.

When you KILL Argus from the task manager, the it of course cannot restore the old fan control settings but leaves the SuperIO hardware in the last state it was in when the program was forcefully terminated.

When you start Argus Monitor, the fan control is resumed in the way it is configured (most likely you apply one fan control profile). The same happens on system resume, but sometimes Argus is faster than the BIOS and activates fan control and THEN the BIOS overwrites it later on.

To prevent that you could and should increase the delay for the fan control to become active after the system wakes up. This can be done in the settings and the current default is 2s, but will change to 8s in one of the next releases.

If the problem you are having is only when waking up from standby, then please change the value to 8s and see if this solves the problem for you.

The option in question can be found in Settings -> Mainboard / Fans (see screenshot -- here it is 5s, but to see if it the correct one I would suggest starting higher and maybe decrease it later one if it helped):

settings_mainboard_fan_control_en.png

Best regards
Udo

AxelMagnus

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Thank you both for your answers. The problem just solved itself, and I don't know how it happened. I've also updated to the latest version of Argus, but the problem solved itself before I did the update. So I can't unfortunately tell why it started working correctly again, just that it did.

To clarify (I think I was a bit unclear in my original post): When Argus was running, fans were running fine all the time. The problem was when Argus was not running, for example during boot-up before Windows is loaded up, and the time period from Argus is shut down until the computer is completely off. My fans are powerful enough to make a proper racket, so even that short period of time can be really annoying. Anyway, it's working fine now.

TRENDING THREADS