[SOLVED] Fans spin up for half a second and then nothing

Jan 21, 2021
Hi y’all, I just recently(a few days ago) built a new PC and have a had a series of problems I have been mostly able to resolve myself, and I thought by last night I had fixed them all. The PC was working great last night, and this is the first time this problem has occurred. When I got up this morning to do online school, it wouldn’t boot (I have a laptop so I’m still in class at the time of writing). The fans spin for about half a second with no lights and I hear two clicks from my power supply, but no boot. The motherboard seems to be receiving 5V power because the RGB on the ram sticks lights up, but really nothing else. The power supply was used in another computer, and is the only non brand new component, so I think it may be that, however I’m unsure due to it delivering some power to the motherboard. Since I can see obvious responses from both the mobo and the psu in at least one way, that makes me unsure as to what the problem is. I’ll have to wait until after classes to try and fix anything, but suggestions are welcomed. Thank you.

Update: I let the PC sit for a while and it was able to boot all the way into windows before shutting itself off and having the same problem on trying again. This really stumped me and now I have no clue what to think.

Specs:
Ryzen 5800x
Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 3070
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4-3600
Corsair AXi 1200w (from my brother’s previous system)

Last edited:
Solution
From experience, clicking is the sound of dying or dead fans. Can be due to dust build up or a worn motor. Try a good blast of air and checking all your fans for dust then try to boot. And the good ol' unplug and plug back in method of all your cables.

If that does not work, isolate the psu (take it out of the case) and try booting to listen for sounds as its hard to pinpoint inside a case. the sound bounces everywhere. If its 100% the psu "clicking" its most likely a fan issue. IF ITS NOT then there could be something as simple as the cpu fan or case fan wire touching a blade, but based on the no boot situation and it being a used PSU I would consider looking for a new one just in case.

ALSO I do not recommend trying to fix the psu...

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
From experience, clicking is the sound of dying or dead fans. Can be due to dust build up or a worn motor. Try a good blast of air and checking all your fans for dust then try to boot. And the good ol' unplug and plug back in method of all your cables.

If that does not work, isolate the psu (take it out of the case) and try booting to listen for sounds as its hard to pinpoint inside a case. the sound bounces everywhere. If its 100% the psu "clicking" its most likely a fan issue. IF ITS NOT then there could be something as simple as the cpu fan or case fan wire touching a blade, but based on the no boot situation and it being a used PSU I would consider looking for a new one just in case.

ALSO I do not recommend trying to fix the psu as they are very deadly, like actually lethal if you don't know what you are doing!

Solution