FAR CRY ing out loud - reality check

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, I pretty much love farcry too. This whole topic surprised me. Anyone with an R3xx seemed to be floored by the demo, and the retail game is level after level of gameplay as good as the demo IMO. I will say that the demo to me was a big dissapointment on a extremely overclocked TI4200 after playing it on an R9800 pro. Just didn't at all look/play the same.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
ya, let's pound this guy! :D:D:D

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
It feels just like every other FPS game i've played. There's frag and strategy. For a strategy FPS, the graphics rock, sounds pretty good and i do love the open maps.
I bought it and sold it already. The AI isn't good.. just cheap. But.. it just wasn't that fun for me.

I've been plagued with an anti video game bug lately. Every game i've been playing hasn't been that great.
MMORPG's have all sucked in the last 2 years. They are all clones of eachother. FPS's are feeling the same way, and the only thing i care about it Multiplayer in FPS's.
RTS's are just terrible , opinion only.

I can't even get into RPGs like I used to. I used to love FF"s then FF8 happened.. ever since then i can't play them anymore.

Give up on life time. :(

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

pauldh

Illustrious
I feel sorry for you. Maybe breakout an old game like Starcraft and see if you remember what it is like to have fun while gaming. :eek: With my limited gaming time nowadays, I thoroughly enjoy almost every minute when i do get to play. Until farcry came out, I was even enjoying playing through my $9.99 Unreal 2 purchase from a few months ago. I was almost done and feel maybe I should start it up again and finish it.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
I think its just not your game. I mean there seem to be an overwhelming people that tend to agree with the reviews it gets. Personally I don't think that its really that innovative besides the graphics. No I don't own the game, I played it at the local cafe.

Maybe its just you that finds it hard(not saying you suck). There are just some games that certain people find extremly hard(though I must comment you on the patience you had). Take metal slug, I can't last through the second board on one quarter, yet there are some people that can beat the game on just one.

What one may find innovative is another's garbage. GTA3, I don't even understand how it got all the raving 9+ reviews. The game is soooooo boring. Yea its fresh for about the first 10 min. Then its rinse and repeat. Steal car, kill someone, get money. Yippie, real fun game...

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
It's been years since I've played a game that looks so damn good that sometimes I can't believe what I'm seeing on-screen... perhaps not since GLQuake... or the Doom3 Alpha... the visual quality and the physics engine are very cool. Finally there is a game that actually exploits the features offered on NV30 and R300. I do agree that the gameplay and so-called AI are miserable at times. Sometimes Far Cry seems like nothing more than a showcase for pixel shaders, and I don't think that the program was well-written because of the inconsistent performance. It's cool, but I'm holding out for Doom and Half Life. After that, I'll decide on whether I should keep wasting my time on videogames...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
You should try painkiller then. thats a fun romp serious sam style. great physics too.

<b>My Computer is so powerful Sauron Desires
it and mortal men covet it, My Precioussssssss!
:evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I totally disagree with you Slava. I LOVE Far Cry single player!!!!!!!!! (Havn't tried multi yet). So far, the best single player game I've played since Half-Life.

Go hump a dead rabbit.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
Although you do have some good points in your review, I have to disagree to your perspective of the game. This is not Serious Sam. You can go guns blazing in SS style, but you will end up biting the ground most of the time. The single player reminded me more about Deus Ex (first one, not the sequel), as you generally have to take a good look around to find the best position to engage the bad guys (and also you could not save anywhere you liked in Deus Ex). Try using the stones (in the grenade slots), they're especially efective on trigens :wink: . Take your time to discover where the bad guys are (the microphone in the binocular is a very good tool, you can hear trigens growl and soldiers chat even if you can not "lock" to them, being hidden). Ambush your enemies, or snipe them from midrange using the single fire from your M16 (I think it was M16). Engage them, then disengage and retreat to a choke point where they cannot hide or take alternate routes (most areas have this kind of points). Use your imagination as much as your guns :wink:

Don't get me wrong, Far Cry is not the perfect game, it still has flaws, and some things leave much room for improvement, but it is NOT by far the crappy game you described. I am also a quite experienced gamer, wrote a few reviews myself, and I'm not easily impressed by a game. Yet, Far Cry, in my opinion, is one of the best things that happened since Half-Life.

*sigh* Damn, I miss the firefights with the white-cammo commando guys from HL... Are we going to see such things again?

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
For me Farcry is an interesting diversion for a while, but I think THG goes too far, implying it's a landmark game (maybe landmark in terms of graphics, but certainly not gameplay).

Let me explain. When I first purchased, for example, Deus Ex (the original, natch, the sequel looks awful) I couldn't think about anything else. At work I counted the minutes before I could go home to play it. I would fall asleep pondering my choice of upgrades. The game was truly involving - seminal. Farcry does not compete with that. It's a beautiful game, sure, but not a landmark in videogames.

Oh, and seeing as we're talking about when we've been gaming since...

@r|<us teH oRiGiNaL ::atari combat:: fAnBoY!

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by arkus on 04/21/04 05:11 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
You make valid points really, but I have to say you're just dead wrong in some parts. e.g.:
*This game is not difficult. It is not <b>challenging.</b> IT IS STUPID.*
I found it challenging - but maybe that's because I selected the 'Challenging' difficulty level? :tongue: Besides, I don't see how you can say it's not difficult and then talk about having to re-do parts loads of times. if that doesn't mean you found it too difficult, what does?

I found it quite refreshing to not have the old Quicksave option. Some games with said option Just end up being equally annoying - walk 10 feet, quicksave, walk 10 feet, quicksave, etc. It's almost cheating really. I thought the save checkpoints were spaced quite fairly around (generously even), and if you found yourself getting killed over and over and over again, then you are obviously going about things the wrong way.

An example: you talk about the mission where you start with 10 rounds. This took only a couple of attempts, because it was obvious that killing everything was not a realistic option, so why bother? running away until a mounted gun became available was a much better option. It's just a question of approach.

On the whole, I thought it was fun to play. Someone above suggested Painkiller was more fun. I couldn't disagree more - I played through 3 levels of the painkiller demo and it was MORE than enough. I was bored stiff. Repetitive and bland.

I haven't even read the THG review, by the way - I can't see the point as I own the game... And their reviews are usually crap and a good month out of date anyway.

---
Epox 8RDA+ rev1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @205x11 (~2.26Ghz), 1.575Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Wow! you sure like to honk your own horn. You show a high of 50+, but where are the lows? I won’t even play the game because of the unacceptably FPS and I have a P4 2.8 @ 3.3 and a 9800 P. Before you say my system isn’t tweaked. I’ll boldly say, unless something is wrong with your system tweaking doesn’t do miracles. It might help smooth out the edges, but does not produce great results at least compared to upgrading. I get 25-50 FPS in Farcry and the encounters are unacceptable play. I don’t care to know all the answer at this time, but even the 6800 U showed low FPS at 22-33 and 47. The 22-33 I would say is not very good game play at all. I don’t think I’ll be buying the 6800 U to play Farcry and don’t need the insane FSP in my other games. I also ant up on Doom III or HL II and will be interesting to see how the cards play them. In an half a$$ way about the graphics are taking a turn for the better and I wonder if the new cards coming out can handle them and so far don’t see any cards able to play Farcry well.

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
am I the only one to play Far Cry in 1024, all details max, and max AA and AF, at more-than-decent fps (above 30-40)?I have a Radeon 9800Pro (at stock speeds), 512 DDR and an Athlon XP 1700+ o/c-ed at 1750 MHz... nothing too impressive... Am I missing something here?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I have no problems playing Farcry Either, apart from the odd lag while it loads stuff off the disk.

I don't understand why all these people claim to be having problems either. It runs fine and looks beautiful on my machine.

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
heh, your system is almost identical to mine :wink: . Just my 9800 Pro is Hercules, and the ram is Infineon. Maybe we hit the lucky combination? :lol:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Athlon 64? Bah. Give me a 1700+ every time! :lol:

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
and also you could not save anywhere you liked in Deus Ex
Wrong. As a matter of fact, yesterday I reinstalled the original DeusEx because THAT’S how good shooters are made and believe you me: you can save anywhere AND there is a quick save/quick load key – NUM plus and NUM / , respectively.

When I first purchased, for example, Deus Ex (the original, natch, the sequel looks awful) I couldn't think about anything else. At work I counted the minutes before I could go home to play it.
Exactly!. I could not have said it better myself. It seems that those who adamantly disagree with my harsh criticism of Far Cry simply don’t have a solid basis for comparing the quality and fun factor of game play.

As I said before: everything is measured by comparison. If you are the only guy in town with a car, no matter how mediocre, you RULE and your vehicle OWNS. But once you drive to a fancy country club and all cars in the parking lot there are Jaguars, BMWs and such, suddenly, your wonderful Corolla becomes lame. If I had nothing to pit Far Cry against I would say “Damn! What a masterpiece!” But I do own 250 games. I can’t wait for the CGW review of Far Cry. After 10+ years of subscribing to CGW I disagreed with their reviews only 2-3 times. They are usually right on. Watch them trash Far Cry. I predict 3 out of 5 stars. Well, maybe 3.5 stars simply because the game is so incredibly good-looking.

I found it challenging - but maybe that's because I selected the 'Challenging' difficulty level? Besides, I don't see how you can say it's not difficult and then talk about having to re-do parts loads of times. if that doesn't mean you found it too difficult, what does
:lol: When I said it was not challenging or difficult and called it stupid I meant it as a sarcastic remark (pity you did not get it). I will explain: Challenging means that you are presented with problems that are not easy to solve but if you play smartly you will most likely succeed. In Far Cry, unless you spend a real-life hour moving one inch at a time and scanning every inch of the area to locate all enemies you will die and have to reload because no matter what you do you will never spot all enemies and once you think it is safe to get up and move 10 yards someone or something will kill you instantly (I am exaggerating a bit but you know damn well what I mean). Having to reload 15 times per hour (that’s every 4 minutes or so) is not challenging. It is stupid . . .

I have a P4 2.8 @ 3.3 and a 9800 P. Before you say my system isn’t tweaked. I’ll boldly say, unless something is wrong with your system tweaking doesn’t do miracles. It might help smooth out the edges, but does not produce great results at least compared to upgrading. I get 25-50 FPS in Farcry and the encounters are unacceptable play
Well, something is very wrong with your system. I did not lie about Far Cry performance on my machine or the settings I play it at. You probably have insufficient cooling and your o/c machine runs way too hot. This will slow it down and may even make it crash . . .

am I the only one to play Far Cry in 1024, all details max, and max AA and AF, at more-than-decent fps (above 30-40)?I have a Radeon 9800Pro (at stock speeds), 512 DDR and an Athlon XP 1700+ o/c-ed at 1750 MHz... nothing too impressive... Am I missing something here?
No, you are not missing anything. What you say sounds about right and confirms my performance conclusion that ppl with R9800 PROs and such are set for at least another year and even HL2... The guy with the P4 2.8 @ 3.3 quoted above probably does not know that often times overclocking may cause the performance TO DROP depending on the overall balance of components in the box or if not done right.

What can I say, the POINT IS that THG review makes this game sound near perfect and MUST HAVE. It says that this is the kind of game you will remember 10 years from now and recall it with a soft smile of sweet nostalgia on your lips. NO YOU WON’T. The THG review is wrong and lacks objectivity.

<font color=red>I ADMIT THAT MY REVIEW IS NOT OBJECTIVE EITHER.</font color=red> But if you read the THG review and my review side by side you WILL get the complete picture of what is perfect about this game and what is terrible about it. Like it or hate it, buy it or not buy it – THIS is up to you. But if you pull your hair out after the 100th reload don’t say you were not warned.

Adios, amigos. I am not posting in this thread any more. Oh, and by the way, when was the last time any of you wrote up a sticky or a review motivated by the desire to help fellow board users? My writings may be imperfect, but at least I tried . . . So instead of trashing my posts go ahead and write something worthwhile yourselves.

<font color=green>Stingy people end up paying double. One kick-ass rig that will go strong for three years or one half-decent one every year?</font color=green> :cool:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 04/21/04 11:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
Props to Slava for posting his review. I found it to be an interesting and debateworthy piece.

Not to be too self-righteous, but I think he has a bit of a point. I think some of you guys took it personally that he didn't love Far Cry and responded out of emotion instead of thoughtfulness.

It's just an opinion, folks; everyone has one. There's no right or wrong.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Hey, I didn't take it personally, Just gave a couple of my own opinions in counterpoint to his. :smile: Everyone has their own ideas in what they want from a game.

Me for instance, I don't like serious SAM - it bores the hell out of me. Wave after wave of the same monsters.. But others love the game. Horses for courses.

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
So instead of trashing my posts go ahead and write something worthwhile yourselves.
I actually find this comment a little irritating. :frown: I may not have any stickies to my name, but the vast majority of what I post is in response to questions from others, or suggestions. I do my best to help people where I think I can.

So the suggestion that I don't say anything worthwhile is insulting. I think your sticky is a good and useful thing, but stupid comments like that I think are ill-thought out and liable to just get under people's skin.

I wasn't attempting to 'Trash your post'. Was just giving my own views, is all.

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
So the suggestion that I don't say anything worthwhile is insulting.

My apologies. I know that many guys here answer questions and give good advice. I asked myself and I got good advice. I hope that those who KNOW that they are there for others will not take the comment personally. You and guys like you know better than that. Forgive me if I don't list the names of all those at whom my original comment was directed.

<font color=green>Stingy people end up paying double. One kick-ass rig that will go strong for three years or one half-decent one every year?</font color=green> :cool:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Slava on 04/21/04 11:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
No offense taken, it was just a bit ill-thought out :smile: ..

I thought you said you wouldn't post again? :wink:

---
Sapphire 9800Pro 420/744

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
:lol: Dammit. You got me! But how could I not apologize for offending a forum veteran? No, I had to reply to that.