FAR CRY upgrading

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

My rig:

P4A 1.6@2.1, 256 MB ram, GF4 4200Ti 128mb

which upgrade will give me improved visual quality at acceptable playable
framerates? 1gig Ram or video card upgrade? (not both!). Far Cry autodetect
sets everything to Low on my current rig. TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

better gfx card

jaster

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 13:05:17 +0800, eng while doing time wrote:

> My rig:
>
> P4A 1.6@2.1, 256 MB ram, GF4 4200Ti 128mb
>
> which upgrade will give me improved visual quality at acceptable playable
> framerates? 1gig Ram or video card upgrade? (not both!). Far Cry autodetect
> sets everything to Low on my current rig. TIA

The question is is Far Cry cpu intensive or video intensive? XP works
better with 512mg than 256mg. Ti4200 is not DX9 optimized is Far Cry?
If you lower resolution will that help with frame rates?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

RAM - definitely. I've played Far Cry all the way through twice
on my XP2400, 512mb PC133 and GF4 4200 64mb (clocked to 4400)
at 800x600 medium textures, environment, water and light
everything else on low and it played smooth and looked very nice.
Higher settings produced stutter through Hdd access so more RAM would have
made
that smoother.

"eng" <visione@po.jaring.my> wrote in message
> My rig:
>
> P4A 1.6@2.1, 256 MB ram, GF4 4200Ti 128mb
>
> which upgrade will give me improved visual quality at acceptable playable
> framerates? 1gig Ram or video card upgrade? (not both!). Far Cry
autodetect
> sets everything to Low on my current rig. TIA

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

If not both then definitely ram. But 256mb extra plus new card will get you
skyrocket high (provided you buy at least a radeon 9800, no 9600 or alike!).

morgan

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On my XP 1800 overclocked to run at 2100mhz Farcry runs with no problem at
1024x768 with everything set at medium with a Ti4200 and 512mb of ram.

Looking at the difference from the above to my friends 9800pro and the
better quality settings I can't say that I'm that impressed with the
graphics to make any changes.

My setup detected everything at low settings as well, but I just changed
them to medium - no issues and zero lag (I'm nearly finished in the SP game
anyway) and OpenGL was not needed as a renderer to improve performance.

--
Regards

Morgan

No more noisy hard drive for me...

www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Sleepy <nospam@here.com> wrote:
> RAM - definitely. I've played Far Cry all the way through twice
> on my XP2400, 512mb PC133 and GF4 4200 64mb (clocked to 4400)
> at 800x600 medium textures, environment, water and light
> everything else on low and it played smooth and looked very nice.
> Higher settings produced stutter through Hdd access so more RAM would
> have made
> that smoother.

Definitely RAM. On my XP2400, 1GB DDR, GF4 TI4200 128mb (AGP 4x model,
slower than the 64mb, and not overclocked), I can play fine at 1024x768 with
Medium settings and AA enabled, or High without AA, no stutter noticeable
and frame rates around 40+. However, that PC133 might not help, and also the
128mb on my card might be a benefit if the textures used by Far Cry take up
more than 64mb (which I'm guessing they do, at least on settings above Low).

The OP didn't state what sort of RAM they have - if it's PC133, then a
better choice of upgrade might be to get a new board with DDR slots and
512MB (or more) DDR, although this might result in having to replace the CPU
too :\

Dan

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

almost certainly he has PC133 and quantity is more more important than speed
in this case. DDR aint twice as fast as SDRam in practice. Levels will load
a little slower with SDRam but then should play fine provided he has enough.

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> schreef in bericht
> RAM - definitely. I've played Far Cry all the way through twice

Not the place on this group.
But I need an answer:
Level Cooler.
I'm letting water in, swimming to the ceiling.
But, how to kill the zombies?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Definitely RAM!!!
You should have at least 512MB to make it playable.

"eng" <visione@po.jaring.my> skrev i meddelandet
> My rig:
>
> P4A 1.6@2.1, 256 MB ram, GF4 4200Ti 128mb
>
> which upgrade will give me improved visual quality at acceptable playable
> framerates? 1gig Ram or video card upgrade? (not both!). Far Cry
autodetect
> sets everything to Low on my current rig. TIA

teqguy

MheAd wrote:

> Definitely RAM!!!
> You should have at least 512MB to make it playable.
>
> "eng" <visione@po.jaring.my> skrev i meddelandet
> > My rig:
> >
> > P4A 1.6@2.1, 256 MB ram, GF4 4200Ti 128mb
> >
> > which upgrade will give me improved visual quality at acceptable
> > playable framerates? 1gig Ram or video card upgrade? (not both!).
> > Far Cry
> autodetect
> > sets everything to Low on my current rig. TIA

Not to mention the fact that RAM will carry you further than a video
card will.

You only use video cards when you're playing games or watching DVD's...
but you use ram the entire time your system is on.

You'll notice more system-wide performance increases with upgrading
your ram.

Wait for the NV40, it'll give you a better impression of current
technology video cards, something the FX series failed to do
appropriately.

Upgrading to a current FX from a Ti is like swapping a 2000 BMW for a
2001... you aren't going to see much of a difference and you're going
to be spending a lot of money.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Hell, I couldn't even get the Far Cry demo to run on my Ti4200. I ended up
going to an FX5700 and it ran just fine. I'm sure it would scream on a 5950,
but that was just out of my budget.