Question How to increase 'Usable RAM' Only 3.50 GB usable RAM

Jul 27, 2024
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 2.82 GHz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2 R2
Windows 10: 64 bit

I had 2 4GBx2 RAM sticks (DDR3) installed earlier and it was showing 6GB (3.50 GB Usable), using this for 3+ years, recently browser started saying 'out of memory'. So I installed one 8GB RAM and now I have 8GB+4GB installed. Now its showing 8GB (3.50 GB Usable).

I tried with only 1 4GB RAM stick and it was showing 4GB (3.50 GB Usable). It always allow only 3.50 GB to use.

Please check my screenshots below. Please suggest what I must do to increase my Usable RAM? My browser keeps says 'out of memory'.

Solution I have tried: Under BIOS > Advanced BIOS Features > IGX Configuration > UMA Frame Buffer Size (I changed it from AUTO to 128 MB i.e the minimum) and the usable RAM increased from 3.50GB to 3.87GB only. In the BIOS IGX Configuration there is another setting 'Internal Graphics Mode' Should I try to set the from UMA to 'DISABLED' (screenshot below). Is there any other way to increase my usable RAM memory?

kanewolf

Titan
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor 2.82 GHz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2 R2
Windows 10: 64 bit

I had 2 4GBx2 RAM sticks (DDR3) installed earlier and it was showing 6GB (3.50 GB Usable), using this for 3+ years, recently browser started saying 'out of memory'. So I installed one 8GB RAM and now I have 8GB+4GB installed. Now its showing 8GB (3.50 GB Usable).

I tried with only 1 4GB RAM stick and it was showing 4GB (3.50 GB Usable). It always allow only 3.50 GB to use.

Please check my screenshots below. Please suggest what I must do to increase my Usable RAM? My browser keeps says 'out of memory'.

Solution I have tried: Under BIOS > Advanced BIOS Features > IGX Configuration > UMA Frame Buffer Size (I changed it from AUTO to 128 MB i.e the minimum) and the usable RAM increased from 3.50GB to 3.87GB only. In the BIOS IGX Configuration there is another setting 'Internal Graphics Mode' Should I try to set the from UMA to 'DISABLED' (screenshot below). Is there any other way to increase my usable RAM memory?

You have memory DIMMs that are not happy. It could be as simple as reseating the memory in the slots. Or you might have to replace the hardware.
A matched set of 4GB DIMMs is probably pretty cheap on E-Bay. That may be the simplest option.

Jul 27, 2024
Based on the solution from below mentioned forum thread: I tried setting "Internal Graphics Mode" to "Disable" and set the "Init Display First" to "PEG", but PC didnt boot at all, with 1 beep sound.

Jul 27, 2024
You have memory DIMMs that are not happy. It could be as simple as reseating the memory in the slots. Or you might have to replace the hardware.
A matched set of 4GB DIMMs is probably pretty cheap on E-Bay. That may be the simplest option.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Tried reseating RAM multiple times looks good this far.
I will definitely try to install a matched set of 8GB, yes DDR3 is very cheap.