Question Redirecting to Yahoo... but with a twist?

jeffgo

Honorable
May 2, 2018
Hey there
So, my father is having a very odd issue. It probably has a simple solution but I haven't been able to find it. (I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it, but considering I've heard of something called the Search Redirect Virus, I figured it's better to be safe then sorry)

The issue is: Google Chrome keeps redirecting to yahoo whenever he does a search in a new blank tab.
And here's the twist: It ONLY happens when he's signed in/synced to Google Chrome. If he unsyncs/signs out, the problem stops. It also doesn't happen with any other browser. It is also a multi-computer issue (both his Mac and PC are having it. They are on the same internet/wifi though).

Other things we've tried/checked with no change:

Reformatted his PC (He tried it before asking for my help)

Browser Extensions (All were disabled except Google Docs)

Google Chrome's Search Engine (both default, what happens when he opens a new tab and have even deleted every other search engine except Google. Even with Yahoo being inactive, it still is used)

Anti-Virus/Malware Checker (As I also mentioned, he reformatted the computer and it's happening on multiple)

Resetting Google Chrome's Settings

Installing a fresh copy of Google Chrome (as I mentioned, he reformatted)

On top of all that, here's some other things we've discovered he can go to Google.com and search there just fine. It only happens when he opens a new tab and tries to perform a search on the blank tab

I recommended a temporary solution of using an extension that allows you to customize the new tab screen so you can go to a specific website (in this case, Google.com).

We'd still like to get to the bottom of this though.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

jeffgo

Honorable
May 2, 2018
Looks like the Yahoo is set as default search engine on his Google account. That's why it only shows up when logged in and across multiple devices. Also, why software uninstalls doesn't work.

Found this guide regarding this, it might help,
link: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95426?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop
Thanks for the quick reply, but he has already tried changing his default search engine back to Google. But for some reason, it doesn't work/it changes itself back to yahoo after the fact.