Question Fast Boot vs. Normal Boot

Endre

Reputable
Hello!
By selecting “Fast Boot” in the BIOS settings, the boot time becomes shorter.
My question is: how does it work?
Is it leaving aside certain features? Or, is it loading certain things after the boot?
What are the downsides of choosing this option?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Valuable seconds. Omg, somebody's life depends on me booting up faster, because if I'm not in game in a few seconds, they'll die.

With an SSD, it's averaging 2-5 seconds faster, but possible complications far outweigh the Valuable seconds saved.

Turn on pc, sit down, make your butt comfortable, open keyboard draw, move mouse, crack fingers and neck. Oh boo, pc is already booted and I missed the process. Fast boot also has multiple issues with legacy equipment, CSM, older drivers, prior OS compatability in programs and a heap of little things many ppl don't see. It's especially bad during diagnostics of gpu, Lan or other issues as ppl shutdown, which saves the prior, corrupted state then returns the issue on reboot.
For a desktop, it's pretty much useless, it's main purpose is for laptop use, but Windows itself is a multiplatform OS, so includes both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Banqu0
D

Deleted member 14196

LOL, I have zero issues and never had any to begin with. My son loves booting to log in under 6 seconds flat, ready to go

my poo notebook can do it in about 13 seconds. I love it.

I would wager that a LOT of the boot loop complaints we see after crashes are caused--at least in part--by the use of fastboot.

This, alone:
"When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption."
is enough to make me go and disable fastboot on everybody's windows machines in the house; since, when they have problems, I have to access their hard drives through Debian, to rescue their data.

Last edited:
Reactions: Banqu0 and Endre