[SOLVED] Fast NVME drive

Naveed_5

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
Afternoon,

Currently in my build i use the ADATA SX8200 PRO 256GB nvme as my main OS and for games.

I feel as if this drive is slow and not upto standards, can someone send me or give me some options to a faster nvme for os and games, the only game i really play is warzone.
budget is upto £150 may be able to stretch to 200.

b450 tomahawk max
16gb 3200 kingston hyper x
ryzen 3600
gigabyte geforce gtx 1660
sx8200 pro nvme 256gb
500gb WD blue vnand
and any reccomendations for better warzone capability.

Solution
At the moment on current drive there is 80gb free space. When loading windows, the notification icons take a few mins to load etc. when opening warzone it will take a couple of mins. I thought this should be significantly faster onn nvme
Unless the drive is failing that sounds more like you need a fresh install of Windows. Load time differences of Windows and games are very small between the slower and top end NVMe’s. I’ve got 1x1tb MP510 nvme and a 2TB SATA SSD and cannot tell the difference between them for game loading times. As for Windows it’s probably a 5 second difference to the logon screen and everything is loaded in the following 30 seconds of getting into Windows.
How full is the drive as that can significantly impact SSD performance. For only gaming and OS it is highly unlikely you will notice any real difference between NVMe’s, it’s unlikely you would really notice the difference to a SATA SSD unless sitting their with a stop watch at loading screens.

Naveed_5

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
How full is the drive as that can significantly impact SSD performance. For only gaming and OS it is highly unlikely you will notice any real difference between NVMe’s, it’s unlikely you would really notice the difference to a SATA SSD unless sitting their with a stop watch at loading screens.

At the moment on current drive there is 80gb free space. When loading windows, the notification icons take a few mins to load etc. when opening warzone it will take a couple of mins. I thought this should be significantly faster onn nvme

Unless the drive is failing that sounds more like you need a fresh install of Windows. Load time differences of Windows and games are very small between the slower and top end NVMe’s. I’ve got 1x1tb MP510 nvme and a 2TB SATA SSD and cannot tell the difference between them for game loading times. As for Windows it’s probably a 5 second difference to the logon screen and everything is loaded in the following 30 seconds of getting into Windows.

Solution
Will this be better than my current one? what about samsung? would this improve speed etc ?
Take a look at this including the video, you won’t notice a difference in speed for games. Even the slowest NVMe is faster than what games use https://techteamgb.co.uk/2019/09/27/game-loading-times-gen-4-vs-gen-3-nvme-ssd/

You are just after something from a reputable brand with ok reviews. Running Windows and games is not that demanding on an nvme.

When did you last clean install Windows? An older copy of Windows can really bog down over time and become significantly slower.

Naveed_5

Reputable
Aug 21, 2016
Results:
styYbp.png

USAFRet

Titan
That's a little bit slower than the advertised numbers, for the sequential performance.

But highly doubt you'd actually see that difference in daily use.
Especially in a gaming context.

When loading windows, the notification icons take a few mins to load etc

Now...THIS may speak to other issues.
"a few mins" from power on to the desktop is not normal.
But it isn't the specific drive.

Reactions: Maxxify

Endre

Honorable
Afternoon,

Currently in my build i use the ADATA SX8200 PRO 256GB nvme as my main OS and for games.

I feel as if this drive is slow and not upto standards, can someone send me or give me some options to a faster nvme for os and games, the only game i really play is warzone.
budget is upto £150 may be able to stretch to 200.

b450 tomahawk max
16gb 3200 kingston hyper x
ryzen 3600
gigabyte geforce gtx 1660
sx8200 pro nvme 256gb
500gb WD blue vnand
and any reccomendations for better warzone capability.

Samsung 970 PRO 1TB is faster.
But I think that even an upgrade to such an SSD, still wouldn’t impact the overall performance significantly.

Maybe a CPU & GPU upgrade would satisfy your needs.

Drives generally get faster with capacity, and when less full, but that doesn't really seem to apply here. Windows has ways for you to inspect this situation - you can check the drive % usage in Task Manager, for example, and there's also Performance Monitor and Resource Monitor to track what's eating your resources. It's likely not the drive that's at fault...