[SOLVED] Fast startup not working in win 10 after mobo,cpu and ram upgrade!

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I recently upgraded my older haswell based pc to the following:

i5 10400f,8+8GB ddr4 3200 mhz corsair memory,Gigabyte b460 m d3h motherboard.

ever since i upgraded this system,i've observed that fast startup in windows works only intermittently or doesnt work at all.I performed a clean install of windows 10(v 2004) but the problem still persists.

Earlier when i had my haswell system,fast startup worked just fine every time i turned the pc on and it booted into windows in seconds.

However with my new system,i have observed that it has been kept off for 2-3 hours,fast startup works and windows boots up within a few seconds.However when it has been kept off for 5 hrs or longer,it boots much slower and windows login prompt takes much longer to appear than it normally does while using fast startup-when i check event manager ,it shows the following error msg under windows>system : "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. "

I am really baffled by this issue and have no idea how to fix it.Is there any defect with any of my pc components or is it a software glitch?

the other details of my pc are as follows:

Gpu: zotac nvidia 1060 6gb
psu: corsair TXM 550
2tb+1tb sata HDD
boot mode:UEFI

please note that fast boot is disabled in the bios,and secure boot is set to custom mode in it-could these settings have some bearing on the ability of fast startup to work correctly?Can buggy gpu drivers affect windows' fast startup functionality?

Also i remember enabling xmp in the bios,which increased the ram speed from 2133 mhz to 2666 mhz-can this somehow be responsible for this problem?

Solution
fast boot in bios not the same as fast boot in windows.
fast boot in bios just removes certain checks the bios does at startup to speed up time it takes to hand control to windows
Fast startup in windows speeds up boot times for hdd (or is meant to).

Is start-up as slow with fast start-up off?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i missed that part, it blended in.

drivers don't normally stop fast startup from working, its normally the other way around, fast startup stops drivers from working right.

However with my new system,i have observed that it has been kept off for 2-3 hours,fast startup works and windows boots up within a few seconds.However when it has been kept off for 5 hrs or longer,it boots much slower and windows login prompt takes much longer to appear than it normally does while using fast startup-when i check event manager ,it shows the following error msg under windows>system : "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. "

All of that is wrong (Not saying you are wrong), the amount of time between start-ups shouldn't have any effect on fast startup.

Do you have latest BIOS for motherboard?
DO you have latest versions of Intel Management Engine Interface - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B460M-D3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

it could be a conflict between bios power settings and win 10.

Reactions: Dadrian Daedalus

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
the bios version of the motherboard is F2,which seems to be an older release-the latest version is F4.

However i am not familiar with the process of updating a mobo's bios as i never attempted it earlier-thus i am not very eager to give it a try,lest i should end up bricking the board itself.

Yes i did install the management engine and other drivers from the accompanying disc,but that didn't resolve this issue.

I just checked the bios settings of another pc with an asus mobo that i also have-i observed that fast boot is enabled in it.

Should i enable fast boot on my GB mobo and check what happens?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
fast boot in bios not the same as fast boot in windows.
fast boot in bios just removes certain checks the bios does at startup to speed up time it takes to hand control to windows
Fast startup in windows speeds up boot times for hdd (or is meant to).

Is start-up as slow with fast start-up off?

Solution