[SOLVED] Faster games just by debloating Windows 10

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Through some research I've found out that the simple act of removing or disabling unused apps and features from Windows 10 goes a long way toward faster FPS in games.

Other than that, what else can I do to improve gaming performance under Windows 10?

Solution
I have used a GUI called Windows10Debloater which you have to run using Powershell, on the GUI Debloater you have the possibility of removing all bloatware, prevent Edge from taking over PDF files, removing OneDrive and quite a few bloatware regkeys.

After that my laptop's reboot time fell from 2min30 down to 1min.

Games became a lot smoother as well, I gained about 5-10fps over the bloated Windows.

I have an Asus X555UB laptop, i7 6500U, 8GB ddr3, 1TB 5400rpm hdd, NVidia 940M video card and Windows 10 Pro.
OK, that "Debloater' thing, maybe.

But far far too many people delve way too far into disabling things. Often this ends up in a system that does not run at all.
Be careful how you proceed.

But, your hardware is kinda...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's about all you can do from a win perspective. the less crap running in the background, the more resources available to your game. this includes, anything else running like chat apps, YouTube and so on.

what sucks is you can go about uninstalling un-needed apps and stopping un-needed services, but often with the next update it all goes back the way it was before. not everything gets reinstalled, but a lot of the bloat does. so make note of what/how you removed the stuff so you can do it again once it goes back to defaults.

tweaking windows is usually why you see benchmarks and videos with similar specs to you that performs better than you seem to be able to. this does not mean you're gonna see 50 extra fps all of a sudden but it certainly won't hurt the performance :)

rscheetah30

Dignified
Jun 8, 2018
Specifically, what is removed/disabled, what better FPS (before and after), and what is the full hardware stack involved?

Numbers count more than "I've found".

I have used a GUI called Windows10Debloater which you have to run using Powershell, on the GUI Debloater you have the possibility of removing all bloatware, prevent Edge from taking over PDF files, removing OneDrive and quite a few bloatware regkeys.

Games became a lot smoother as well, I gained about 5-10fps over the bloated Windows.

I have an Asus X555UB laptop, i7 6500U, 8GB ddr3, 1TB 5400rpm hdd, NVidia 940M video card and Windows 10 Pro.

USAFRet

Titan

OK, that "Debloater' thing, maybe.

But far far too many people delve way too far into disabling things. Often this ends up in a system that does not run at all.
Be careful how you proceed.

But, your hardware is kinda meh.
On a better more recent system, that Debloater would do little or nothing.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Solution
Debloating Windows only really shows results if your system is towards the bottom tier of performance. And even then, I have a problem with these comparisons as I feel they were done without any real scientific approach to it other than "I ran this thing and now my performance is better" Half of those tweaks may have not done anything at all for performance, but get lumped in anyway because the author decided it was unnecessary and call the entire package a "debloater"