[SOLVED] Faster Ram or more Ram?

Apr 1, 2020
Just a simple question, if I have 16 gb of 2400mhz ram, what will improve pc performance (specifically running multiple programs at once) more, adding ram, or upgrading to faster ram. (not both)

Solution
Just a simple question, if I have 16 gb of 2400mhz ram, what will improve pc performance (specifically running multiple programs at once) more, adding ram, or upgrading to faster ram. (not both)

It depends to some extent on what programs you are running - if we are talking productivity software, web browsers and such then probably increasing the amount of ram would be better than faster ram.

Higher speed ram only really matters in situations which are sensitive to memory bandwidth and latency (such as games). That said 16gb is plenty in most situations, going for more is only going to improve performance if you are currently maxing out that memory capacity with what you are doing. You can check this by keeping the performance...

It depends to some extent on what programs you are running - if we are talking productivity software, web browsers and such then probably increasing the amount of ram would be better than faster ram.

Higher speed ram only really matters in situations which are sensitive to memory bandwidth and latency (such as games). That said 16gb is plenty in most situations, going for more is only going to improve performance if you are currently maxing out that memory capacity with what you are doing. You can check this by keeping the performance tab of task manager open whilst working - if you don't have any free ram then adding more should help.

Solution
Apr 1, 2020
Ok thanks

Higher speed ram only really matters in situations which are sensitive to memory bandwidth and latency (such as games). That said 16gb is plenty in most situations, going for more is only going to improve performance if you are currently maxing out that memory capacity with what you are doing. You can check this by keeping the performance tab of task manager open whilst working - if you don't have any free ram then adding more should help.
Ok, thanks i'll look into it.

Reactions: cdrkf

TRENDING THREADS