[SOLVED] Fastest 8-core CPU for 500$?

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Hi there :)

What would be the fastest CPU I can get for 500$, even second hand or refurbished? 8 cores or more needed

I have been looking around to get an idea; I need this for incredibly heavy compilation jobs (think about compiling Gentoo packages all the time).

I will choose what goes around it (mini PC, ATX etc) based on the CPU since is the most important detail.

Solution
If you NEED 16c/32t, why'd you say "8 cores or more". That tells us that 8 cores is sufficient. Further solidified by your statement that per-core performance was more important than # of cores (past 8).

# of cores and per-core performance are on the same side of thermal limit equation. Past a certain point (right now around 8c/16t) you have to give up per-core performance for >>> cores/threads because of power draw limitations. I hope whatever you're doing fully utilizes 32 threads, otherwise you've wasted on per-core (and subsequently total) performance.

Also, a 5.5 year old architecture isn't going to provide the same IPC (instructions per clock) when compared to modern architectures. 2.5GHz from 5 years ago isn't the same...

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
What country are you shopping in?
Belgium; but I can order from nearby EU countries without many problems.

On the "consumer-tier" side of things, you're looking at an i9-10850K/10900K (or upcoming 11th gen) or Ryzen 5800X
Thanks, those look like interesting suggestions. I see that for intel it's FCLGA1200 socket and for AMD the AM4 one; so for an Intel one I could use a ProDesk G6 mini for example

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Now I am thinking that the FCLGA1200 would limit my choice in 2nd hand gear..what if I aim for FCLGA1151? Are there any 10 cores/20 threads on that older socket? Then I could fit it in a ProDesk G5 which is cheaper to find.

can it be 550 dollars? If it can, and you can get a 5900x at msrp, then you could be getting a 12 core 24 thread cpu for 549 dollars
It could be, but I am thinking that going with a too new socket will cost too much for this project..do you think I could make a cheap AM4 setup around it? Doesn't necessarily have to be mini

Define "fastest"
For some, that will mean best single thread performance.
I suspect that this may be what a compiler needs most.

For apps which can be effectively multithreaded, then the total capability becomes the fastest.
Look up the passmark ratings of any prospective processor.

Today, the 10 core/20 thread Intel i9-10900K sells for <$500.
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i9-10900k-core-i9-10th-gen/p/N82E16819118122
The passmark rating is 24059 which is when all 20 threads are fully at 100%.
The single thread rating is 3171.
If you are willing to overclock, you can do better.
On the ryzen side, the 8 core/16 thread ryzen 5800X sells for <$500:
https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x/p/N82E16819113665?&quicklink=true
It has a rating of 28656/3507
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen+7+5800X&id=3869
Ryzen does not overclock well, so do not plan on that.

Next week, intel will launch the 11th gen processors with a rumored 19% uplift in performance per clock.
We will see what the price and performance will really be.

Raw single core/thread power
leaks indicate that the I9-11900K may beat the ryzen 5950x in single thread performance:
The launch price is supposed to be $600. ryzen 5950x price is >$1000 if you can find one to buy.

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
I am getting a second-hand E5-2698; it's the best I could get with this budget. Now I need to think what to put around it...I need to decide between a server board or a workstation board

I am getting a second-hand E5-2698; it's the best I could get with this budget. Now I need to think what to put around it...I need to decide between a server board or a workstation board
Sorry...
If you are looking for raw/single thread power, I think you made the wrong choice.
Single thread passmark rating is 2066:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2698+v4+@+2.20GHz&id=2806
The power of the chip comes from the 40 threads.
But, you say you can use only 8.
There are many better solutions at <$500.
A better pick might have been the $230 i5-10600K with a single thread rating of 2937
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-10600K+@+4.10GHz&id=3735

But, since you ave already bought, that is moot.
You will need a lga2011-v3 motherboard.
Usually, desktop motherboards go for less than server motherboards which may have two cpu sockets.
And, you will usually need to supply a discrete graphics card at extra cost.
Graphics cards are scarce and overpriced today because of cryptomining.

If you can, return the E5-2698 .
You will still be better off if you have to eat it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tennis2

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Says he needs best single-core performance and 8 cores. Is offered current-gen options that have maximum single thread performance AND exceed the specified core count.....buys a 5.5 year old CPU with far more cores than required with far inferior single-core performance.....
Nowhere I stated that only 8 cores will be used.

But, you say you can use only 8.
I never said that.

If you NEED 16c/32t, why'd you say "8 cores or more". That tells us that 8 cores is sufficient. Further solidified by your statement that per-core performance was more important than # of cores (past 8).

# of cores and per-core performance are on the same side of thermal limit equation. Past a certain point (right now around 8c/16t) you have to give up per-core performance for >>> cores/threads because of power draw limitations. I hope whatever you're doing fully utilizes 32 threads, otherwise you've wasted on per-core (and subsequently total) performance.

Also, a 5.5 year old architecture isn't going to provide the same IPC (instructions per clock) when compared to modern architectures. 2.5GHz from 5 years ago isn't the same performance as 2.5GHz nowadays.

Was ECC a major requirement that you didn't share with us? The LGA 2011 platform is more costly than the AM4 platform.

Last edited:
Solution