Fastest CPU without replacing motherboard?

Magmortas

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
My friend has received an old PC from his parents a little while back, and naturally it didn't run well. He came to me to find the fastest parts without having to replace the motherboard, while he has generally the budget for some of the expensive CPU's and he already has a GPU and a new power supply ready for it, but I am having trouble finding a suitable CPU for him. He has a Foxconn 2a92 motherboard. He currently has a AMD Phenom II x4 830 processor and I am not good with motherboards and i can't seem to find any specifications on it. These are really old parts and I am looking for generally a good replacement without replacing the entire motherboard. He is into gaming and while I really am not sure if its really wise to try this on such old parts, but I am seriously confused with this.

rwoody

Honorable
Nov 13, 2015
There's nothing really that would be that much better in that (AM3) socket. It would be a better idea to simply replace that old motherboard and get a more recent CPU. He can still use the same power supply and GPU. Even if you didnt go with the latest mobo and CPU, you would see a significant upgrade in speed by stepping up to something within the last couple generations. If you wanna save some cash, go with another AMD in the AM3+ socket. Otherwise I would say go for a z97 mobo with a 4th gen intel CPU (1150 socket). You could jump all the way up to the newest mobo and CPU's, but the added cost versus slight gains doesn't make sense if you're on a budget.