News Faulty 12V2x6 connector found with RTX 4080 Super card — it could be a one-off problem, but caution is advisable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
This plus is the lamest engineering fail ever.

GPUs are huge and power demanding like never before, yet they made the tiniest ridiculously fragile connector.
There was never any need for a tiny connector, discrete desktop GPUs didn't need that crap.
What we need are super sturdy connector like a quadruple xt60.

Reactions: PEnns

Brubbler

Prominent
Dec 9, 2022
Nvidia/AIB simply clearing out known faulty stock, besides they'll just claim "user error" if your 1k+ card melts to shirk accountability (ad nauseam).
A penny saved is a penny earned.

Reactions: PEnns

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
It's supposed to click? :grimacing:
I just got a 4070 Super with a 2x8-pin to 16-pin adapter. My first. It was hard to plug in to the card, but I thought I felt a soft-click. But when I booted up, there was no display. I investigated and found that the connector was not fully inserted. I'm not sure if I didn't push it in far enough, or if it wiggled out when adjusting cables.
Try as I might, using as much force as I could, I couldn't get it to click the second time I inserted it. I thought to myself, "Oh yeah, when GN reported on these, I think they said there was 'not really' a click." Both ends of the connector were flush with eachother though, so I just let it be. Hadn't given it a second thought all week. *shrug*

RobFisher11

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Mine clicked. I was more surprised that my 320W 4080S wanted 3 8 pin connectors after the adapter while my outgoing 350W 3090 managed with two on the card.

I think the real problems start when you try to put a lot more power through these connectors: like with an OC 4090. Then I'd be properly concerned. But I do hope we go back to proper connectors on the cards and less power-hungry cards in general.

kkthebeast

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2015
Curious which way the people with the burned out connectors are routing their cables.

Are they going down under the GPU. Or over the top toward the CPU?
Not to jinx it but going over the top (no extensions) here on my 4090 for a year now, 1000 watt up-cycled Alienware PSU.

No overclock because this issue has me paranoid.

Also curious what the brand and wattages of their PSU was.

Any extensions between the PSU cables and the 4-way adapter?

Also curious if anyone moved their PCs before the issue or if they were in place never touched.

Nov 24, 2023
I am looking at my 7900XTX, with it's triple glorious power connectors. Good thing I have a glass side panel, for extra glorious viewing.
I have exactly the same thing. 7900xtx 7800x3d dynamic evo case, my first pc. 3 connectors are no different than one. I'm not losing sleep over potential fires for aesthetics.

Feb 4, 2024
I just got a 4070 Super with a 2x8-pin to 16-pin adapter. My first. It was hard to plug in to the card, but I thought I felt a soft-click. But when I booted up, there was no display. I investigated and found that the connector was not fully inserted. I'm not sure if I didn't push it in far enough, or if it wiggled out when adjusting cables.
Try as I might, using as much force as I could, I couldn't get it to click the second time I inserted it. I thought to myself, "Oh yeah, when GN reported on these, I think they said there was 'not really' a click." Both ends of the connector were flush with eachother though, so I just let it be. Hadn't given it a second thought all week. *shrug*
Wow, got the same problem with my Gigabyte AERO 4070 Super. Spent 15 minutes to plug it in place and there was no audible click till I clicked it with my finger. I think I even bent the socket, because it's got not parallel to the textolite. It works, but not sure if I need to replace it under warranty.

Nov 24, 2023
Wow, got the same problem with my Gigabyte AERO 4070 Super. Spent 15 minutes to plug it in place and there was no audible click till I clicked it with my finger. I think I even bent the socket, because it's got not parallel to the textolite. It works, but not sure if I need to replace it under warranty.
Scary thought isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.