Question Faulty card? Code 43 error on RTX 2080 Super, plus weird problems with NVIDIA Control Panel & GeForce Experience

Aug 30, 2020
I just built a new gaming PC and am having trouble getting my RTX 2080 SUPER to work. When I check the display adapter settings, there is a little warning icon next to my card, and the status says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)".

When I reinstall the drivers, that icon and error message go away, but games still run just as poorly as before (as if it's still using the Intel UHD Graphics 630 instead of the RTX 2080 SUPER). And when I reboot after installing new drivers, that icon & error code come right back.

Things I've tried:
  • Fresh install of Windows 10, with the latest Windows updates and latest BIOS drivers for my motherboard
  • Manually updating the NVIDIA drivers to the latest version (currently Game Ready Driver v452.06, released Aug 17, 2020)
  • Updating everything via GeForce Experience (when I first install GeForce Experience, it says "No driver found" even when I've just manually installed the latest drivers... and none of the buttons in GFE work, like the Settings, Home, or Notification buttons... so maybe GFE is acting weird because it can't detect the drivers too?)
  • Wiping all NVIDIA drivers with DDU in safe mode and manually reinstalling them
  • Testing an older card in the same PCI-E slot (I plugged in my old GTX 960 and Windows detected it fine, no issues, and games ran smoothly, so I don't think there's a hardware issue with the motherboard)

Two other weird things I've noticed:
  1. NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't open when I try to run it (I double-click and nothing happens... I don't even see it pop up in Task Manager/Process Explorer, but maybe this is because there's a driver issue?)
  2. GPU-Z seems to detect the card, but it's weird that it doesn't seem to detect things like the memory or GPU clock etc. (here's a screenshot below)

MyADOY5.gif

Here are my PC specs:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z390-A ATX LGA1151
  • CPU: Intel i9-9900K 3.60 GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold
  • SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 (x4, so 32 GB total)

Does this sound like a bad card, or just the latest NVIDIA drivers having issues with Windows 10? 😕