Oct 18, 2020
Hi Guys,

First up the specs;
Cpu: intel i7 8600k
Gpu: RoG Strix 1080
Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance ddr4 - 2666mhz
Motherboard: rog strix z270
PSU: CORSAIR RM 650x

So a week ago while about to start a match in R6 i got some screen artifacts and then a black screen crash, at first i couldnt even get to the bios screen and the rgb Lighting was dull and flickering.

I immediately thought "power supply" and borrowed a working PSU from a friend, once hooked up the pc booted and went on to windows to which i then done some checks thinking i had nailed it, then the same thing happened, black screen no signal... i then decided to get a psu tester and found both my original and my friends 750 watt supply where fine.

Next up i went and got my hands on an old radeon hd 7950 gpu and hooked it up and hey presto the pc works and i can play games albeit at minecraft levels of quality from here i opened the gpu up and cleaned it out reapplied thermal paste etc. And tried again, this time i jiggled parts checked for loose connections i find that it boots up first try if i prop the card up level (didnt install a gpu bracket so i have some card sag) after 5 minutes the card makes a really crazy screetching or series of micro beeps hard to describe the noise.. which as ive come to learn, is the warning that its about to crash, the temps when it died where 30c so nothing to write home about... im not sure if the card sag is the actual culprit and if so why does it still work for a bit before dying.... when its on during its 5 minutes of working the rgb lights on the card also work fine, when it crashes they dim right down and flicker....

Ive looked at the board and all the capicitors for damage of any kind and all i can see is what looks like an oil stain on the board and some of the componants, this is by the thermal pads so most likely just from them, other than that theres no fryed parts.

Solution
It sounds like there's a circuit that comes apart when the card hits a certain temperature when it's sagging.

The simplest (and free) fix for this would be to lie your tower on its side so that your card stands straight up and doesn't get pulled in either direction by gravity. That's the configuration that the old desktops used. This is why the motherboard interface is considered to be the "bottom" of the card.

Try that, it should solve your problem and the rest of the system will run just fine.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
There's little to none you can do to resurrect your GTX 1080.

Best course of action is RMA, if you have warranty on it and if it wasn't voided when you opened up the GPU to replace the thermal paste/pads on it.
If you do not have any warranty left, cut your losses and buy a new GPU.

Even if there would be visual damage on GPU (which there isn't), you'll get hard time finding the right replacement parts (caps, chips etc) and without knowledge of soldering, you can't replace the blown components. But without any visual damage, your guess is as good as mine as what exactly went wrong with GPU.

It sounds like there's a circuit that comes apart when the card hits a certain temperature when it's sagging.

The simplest (and free) fix for this would be to lie your tower on its side so that your card stands straight up and doesn't get pulled in either direction by gravity. That's the configuration that the old desktops used. This is why the motherboard interface is considered to be the "bottom" of the card.

Try that, it should solve your problem and the rest of the system will run just fine.

Solution
Oct 18, 2020
There's little to none you can do to resurrect your GTX 1080.

Best course of action is RMA, if you have warranty on it and if it wasn't voided when you opened up the GPU to replace the thermal paste/pads on it.
If you do not have any warranty left, cut your losses and buy a new GPU.

Even if there would be visual damage on GPU (which there isn't), you'll get hard time finding the right replacement parts (caps, chips etc) and without knowledge of soldering, you can't replace the blown components. But without any visual damage, your guess is as good as mine as what exactly went wrong with GPU.

To be honest i sort of figured as much, i was just hoping in the off chance that i was overlooking something, but it appears as though a new GPU is on the cards, thanks for your help anyway.

Oct 18, 2020

I will try this but i dont think its going to yeild any results because even when it boots up while propped up level it still crashes after 5 minutes and then wont turn back on again for some time, its likely a chip or cap thats damaged sadly l, but thank you and like i said i will try that before i do anything else.