Question Faulty GPU?

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
Hello,
So I recently upgraded my monitor from 768p to 1080p and changed the cable from VGA to Display Port, So yesterday everything was working fine and today I just played some games and shutted down my PC normally but when I started my PC again it was not starting at all... like it was turning on without giving display and shuts off within 5 seconds, When I turned the socket switch off and turned it on again it started and showed me the BIOS where everything was showing normal but when I restarted again same thing happened it just starts and turns off it self continuosly until I hard shut it down.
When I removed the graphics card and plugged the Display Port into the motherboard it booted normally.
Then I cleaned the computer and graphics card and it worked again but after restart still the same thing happened.
I have a GTX 750ti 2GB Asus Strix
Can anyone tell whats wrong with it? Thank you!

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
I think I found the problem, weirdly i thought it could be because of the power, for example my graphics card doesn't require external power, so when i went from 768p to 1080p it putted more load on the GPU thus making it go haymaker and shuts down my computer, when I unplugged the Display Port from the monitor and started the PC it worked, and i plugged it back and now i am back at my Desktop.... is there any way i can increase the GPU power from BIOS?

EDIT: I changed the resolution to 768p and the problem is solved, but that's not what I want.. I wanted to enjoy the 1080p experience :(

EDIT2: Nope, It still shut downs even changing to 768p resolution, the only thing that works for now is unplugging the Display Port from the monitor, I guess I have to buy a DVI Cable to check if that works

Last edited:
I think I found the problem, weirdly i thought it could be because of the power, for example my graphics card doesnt require external power, so when i went from 768p to 1080p it putted more load on the GPU thus making it go haymaker and shuts down my computer, when I unpluggued the Display Port from the monitor and started the PC it worked, and i plugged it back and now i am back at my Desktop.... is there any way i can increase the GPU power from BIOS?

EDIT: I changed the resolution to 768p and the problem is solved, but thats not what I want.. I wanted to enjoy the 1080p experience :(

I do not think the extra load from 768p to 1080p can make your PC to not even boot.

Perhaps theres an issue with your DP cable, and/or theres some sort of short between the cable and the case when you use that particular port on the GPU.

Have you tried a different cable?

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
I do not think the extra load from 768p to 1080p can make your PC to not even boot.

Perhaps theres an issue with your DP cable, and/or theres some sort of short between the cable and the case when you use that particular port on the GPU.

Have you tried a different cable?
I had a DVI to VGA Cable from my previous monitor, since my GPU doesn't have a VGA port, the DVI to VGA cable had problems scaling and maintaining 1080p because of auto adjustment by the new monitor, so that's why I bought a Display Port...

These are the two cables I have and both of them worked fine up until now...

Other than the two things I wrote (bad display port cable or an electrical shortcut) theres no much mroe I can tewll you at this point. Perhaps some other member can share more light on this.

I still think going from 768p to 1080p should not stop (power wise) your PC from booting up, getting into desktop or even browsing and watching a youtube video.

xBHSx

Reputable
Mar 26, 2020
Other than the two things I wrote (bad display port cable or an electrical shortcut) theres no much mroe I can tewll you at this point. Perhaps some other member can share more light on this.

I still think going from 768p to 1080p should not stop (power wise) your PC from booting up, getting into desktop or even browsing and watching a youtube video.
Well thanks for the replies, As far as bad display cable goes, I bought it yesterday and its brand new, and idk much about electrical shortcut but this monitor keeps making "tek" kinda noises every 2 or 5 minutes since I bought it