Question Faulty motherboard help

Apr 4, 2022
Hello everyone and i apologize in advance for my bad English.
So i am trying to fix my friends Pc... his setup is old
msi h77ma-g43 motherborad
intel i53570
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8GB (2X4GB) PC3-12800 DUAL CHANNEL KIT
It started to freeze in more 2 tabs in chrome.I checked many browsers and all freeze if you open more than 2 tabs and it sais not enough memory.
I reinstalled windows same problem.
The next day the pc wont boot at all.I removed the 1 ram and it booted.I've tried to change slot of the ram that caused the problem, most of the times the pc wont boot.
Few times will boot.Now with one ram of the pair the freeze problem remains.
I dont have spare motherboard or rams to properly troubleshoot ,so i am little buffled.
I think is a motherboard issue but iam not 100% sure.Maybe is the ram?But if so ,why the freeze problem presist?
I've checked the voltages in the motherboard seemed ok.
There is a possibility the PSU cause this problem>?Idk i lean towards the motherboard though.
Any help/suggestions are welcome, thanks alot in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

A PC isn't built with just a motherboard, ram and CPU combo, you're going to need storage, a PSU and a discrete GPU(if your iGPU isn't enough for the task) and they're all housed in a chassis with optimal airflow to help keep things cool for your CPU cooler. Please include the pending parts for your friend's build.

That being said, how old is your friends PSU(apart from it's make and model)?

Tear down the entire system and inspect the motherboard for any swollen/bulging capacitors.

Reactions: jaw9
Aug 16, 2021
Hi,
By what you've said, this appears to be a motherboard problem unfortunately, but im not entirely sure.
I only think this because ram shouldnt really react differently to a change in slots, that would usually happen if one slot is faulty (as ive had by experience)
Anyways, hope this helped,
Ben

Reactions: jaw9
Apr 4, 2022
Hi,
By what you've said, this appears to be a motherboard problem unfortunately, but im not entirely sure.
I only think this because ram shouldnt really react differently to a change in slots, that would usually happen if one slot is faulty (as ive had by experience)
Anyways, hope this helped,
Ben
Thank you so much for your reply, i believe the same also.Because it is an old pc ,if i make sure that is indeed the m/b faulty i will tell him we can find a cheap compatible to buy.But i don't want to make him buy one and then turns out that it was not a m/b problem.Better to build a new one.

Reactions: Ben@Titanux