Favorite gaming console(s)?

minnin90

Commendable
Sep 1, 2021
1. Xbox 360 (probably the pinnacle console for me, had just the right graphics and resolution, even to this day for me)
2. Xbox One (the base system is just average when comparing it to many others, but with the One X it was ands still is a beast, that said even the base console can play games made today like Elden Ring, AC Mirage,etc decent enough - it just depends on your expectations - early games all the way to 2019 were terrific on all 3 versions of the system)
3. Nintendo 64 (The best Nintendo console for me, anyway. I got it on release as a kid - good memories, outstanding games even if they were few in number.)

Honorable Mentions:

Playstation 3, had it not been for the terrible architecture to get games playable on it, I;d have liked it more than any console in history. The blu ray player was essential for a movie buff like myself, and transcended game file sizes.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest

Colif

Win 11 Master
n64 games released too slow, had to basically buy them all at start to have anything to play. Too many bad racing games. though almost anything made by Rare was worth buying before they were bought by Microsoft. I don't know how many carts I ended up with.

gewone

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Nice thread, with lots of nostalgia being brought up. I still find SNES to be my favorite console. I'm pretty single track when it comes to titles though, playing Super Mario World about 90% of the time, whereas the last ten percent goes evenly divided to Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat. Other than this I play lots of Tony Hawk on PS2, also a classic nowadays. Owned the N64 too but the only game I found remotely fun was Golden Eye 007, but it gave me a headache when I played it for more than half an hour or so. Also, Crash Bandicoot on PS1 is mad fun, it hasn't aged a day if you ask my honest opinion. I don't need fancy graphics to have fun.

Best console of all time for me is... well I have a tie: the SNES and the PS2. The SNES was the zenith of 16-bit and 2D focused games. The PS2 for me was when developers grew out of their growing pains of 3D and started making great games. And it was at the time when developers were still willing to experiment with the weird, before it started becoming formulaic in the 7th gen.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
My favorite has to be the SNES. Why? Because my very first memory, when I was 3 years old, was of my dad bringing home a SNES on launch day, with F-Zero and Super Mario World, which remain two of my favorite games. F-Zero is the first game I ever played, and I have been gaming non-stop ever since. : P

Aside from that... My family or myself have owned plenty of other consoles, but I'm gonna echo Order 66, and say the Switch. The main "gimmick" (for lack of a better word) of switching between handheld and console was a game-changer. Playing games at home or on the go, or even at home but curling up with it in bed, is a great convenience. Nintendo's back catalog through the NSO subscription is full of great old titles for me to replay or discover for the first time, and the new first-party Switch games have been some of the most enjoyable games I've played over the last 5 years.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
My favorite has to be the SNES. Why? Because my very first memory, when I was 3 years old, was of my dad bringing home a SNES on launch day, with F-Zero and Super Mario World, which remain two of my favorite games. F-Zero is the first game I ever played, and I have been gaming non-stop ever since. : P

Aside from that... My family or myself have owned plenty of other consoles, but I'm gonna echo Order 66, and say the Switch. The main "gimmick" (for lack of a better word) of switching between handheld and console was a game-changer. Playing games at home or on the go, or even at home but curling up with it in bed, is a great convenience. Nintendo's back catalog through the NSO subscription is full of great old titles for me to replay or discover for the first time, and the new first-party Switch games have been some of the most enjoyable games I've played over the last 5 years.
I mainly use my switch for YouTube, or playing Minecraft on the go, because it is a lot better on controller than touch screen.

SCP2000

Great
Dec 8, 2023
N64, but only narrowly! My first console was a Sega in the mid-90s, then in Christmas 97/98, I was gifted an N64, then a Playstation. I remember being very young at the time and not fully grasping Metal Gear Solid, but I played the living crap out of that game, and my siblings would always enjoy watching. N64 brought so many good memories with Goldeneye. The sleepovers, the friendships temporarily ruined.... lol. I also had Sega channel for a brief moment. To my knowledge, it was the first subscription-based gaming service, though I could be wrong. Way ahead of its time.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
No order:

NES - Back in the day going into Funcoland, Ebgames, and others just to look at what was on sale or "new". The thrill of being able to get those games for $5 bucks and have a blast. And classics like SMB3 of course.
N64 - Golden Age of Nintendo IMO. Some of the best games released. Can't remember playing video games more.
Xbox - Pure innovation at the time. I could believe those graphics. It was the future.

Was going to put Series-X, it's still good for what it is but with a PC now, I'll narrow it to the above three.