What is your favourite movie of all time?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Another Blade Runner, though I like to mix it up between the Theatrical release and the Director's Cut. Just something about the voice over that appeals to me.

Hunt for the Red October

Pretty much annually, Coming to America and Trading Places.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
The Truman Show, I've liked this film for years so sat the family down to watch. They weren't impressed at all! Just didn't get it.
ô__ô ! Interesting. Maybe it feels very different for younger people that grew up with cameras in every pocket ? Or grew up with streaming services instead of broadcast television? shrug
In any case, good pick! :-D This was my #1 favorite when it came out, and remains in my top 10.

Reactions: Explosssive

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I had similar thoughts. That subtle paranoia about the world around us seemed to be more pronounced in the late 90s and early 2000s. Now we know it really is like that and people use all that information to make money.

Reactions: AgentBirdnest
Oct 17, 2022
ô__ô ! Interesting. Maybe it feels very different for younger people that grew up with cameras in every pocket ? Or grew up with streaming services instead of broadcast television? shrug
In any case, good pick! :-D This was my #1 favorite when it came out, and remains in my top 10.
I like movies that make sense )

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I like drama, scifi or dark comedies from 50's-70s. Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, Psycho, North by Northwest, Rear Window, Once Upon a Time in the West, 12 Angry Men, Inherit the Wind (may be before the 50's), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (70s version), The Fly, Chinatown, A Bridge Too Far (incredible cast), War of the Worlds, Alien, Dirty Harry, Magnum Force

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
After reading Tolkien's books - The Lord of the Rings, these movies are my favorites.
having read the books, plus the Silmarillian, and the Unfinished Tales, the Jackson films are just that much more disappointing.

the Rankin/Bass 'The Hobbit' + 'Return of the King'
and Ralph Bakshi's 'Lord of the Rings' together were much better in my opinion.

too bad we never got a real extended animated version...

Last edited: