FBI Doesn't Want You to Know Who Hacked Facebook

What the crap is with the click bait title? FBI asking Facebook to not comment on a running investigation is NOT the same as the FBI doesn't want you to know who hacked Facebook. This is valid and important news all on its own, you don't have to click bait the thing up.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Right!?!! That's what I was thinking.

If we want misleading or uninformed editorial headlines we could go a thousand other places.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Is that the story where Bloomberg claims that a malicious chip resides on certain SuperMicro servers that were only sold to certain customers that everyone involved is saying is completely false?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

That sounds like it. Whether or not it's false, I'd expect some coverage of the whole issue on PC news sites like Tom's.

phobicsq

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
It's the fascist state at work, protecting private interests over public. They're not even hiding it. Where's the media and news to expose this nonsense, its been going on for a long time.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

A few bits of advice:

■ Take your meds.
    ■ Read past the article's clickbait headline.
    ■ Understand that the hack just happened and they're probably still gathering & analyzing the evidence. Investigations take time.
    ■ If it's another government, there are probably other diplomatic concerns that need to be juggled. Diplomacy can take time.

Considering all of that, it's entirely logical and unsurprising that the FBI doesn't want details to leak out, as it could actually compromise the investigation. As @justin.m.beauvais said, this is essentially standard practice. Also, understand that the FBI doesn't have a room full of investigators just twiddling their thumbs. All of their investigators are already juggling multiple other cases, which is one reason these things tend to move a bit slower than we might like.

That said, if the NSA or somebody tries to gag FB from ever disclosing who was behind the hack, then I'd say it's legit to complain. But, let's take a breath and see how this plays out.

BTW, I don't work for the government, but I've met and talked with FBI agents at public outreach events, years ago. They work very hard for not as much pay as you'd probably think.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Facebook is DARPA and DARPA was LIFE LOG...data collection tools of the government. Facebook was launched a day after LIFE LOG was taken offline. Facebook format had more potential , so they abandoned LIFE LOG in favor of Facebook.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
" it's also not the whole story"

Total understatement. Facebook has been dark-webbed for years. Interesting they didn't say anything about the group that infiltrated the messenger app and hijacked resources for Momo.

Btw, the FBI probably have someone on the inside that is "dirty" that will cover up everything.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Of course the FBI doesn't want the general public to know who the cyber criminal(s) is(are). There's no way they'll be able to hire him(them) after all the publicity. It takes a thief to catch a thief, that's well known. Get some world-class hackers together to create security systems they couldn't break into and everyone is safer. At least for a little while.

I'd much rather these hackers bust open security, legit, so it can be fixed, than have them free-ballin and introduce stuff like Spectre simply because they can.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
"I'd much rather these hackers bust open security, legit, so it can be fixed, than have them free-ballin and introduce stuff like Spectre simply because they can"

@Karadjgne, well the problem is that they "pretend" to play along. Plus it wouldn't stop the ones that infiltrated CDNs such as Amika technologies that installed their rouge bot-net server.

If they got rid of everything that is programmed with XML in the machine it would be secured. Its the biggest and suppressed security flaw, thanks to Microsoft.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

IP addresses don't mean anything in the world of hacking because all of them will hide behind an anonymous VPNs. I personally think they should not exist on the internet (anonymous VPNs) because its the main tool they use.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018
" Facebook is DARPA and DARPA was LIFE LOG...data collection tools of the government. Facebook was launched a day after LIFE LOG was taken offline. Facebook format had more potential , so they abandoned LIFE LOG in favor of Facebook. "

lol lifelog
It was replaced by the internet recording system. That all internet transmissions in the US are recorded.
Its "somewhere" in Utah.
Keep taking the red pill ;)

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

If we're talking about the same story, Tom's did cover it.

audiospecaccts

Upstanding
Oct 13, 2018

Well there is a lot of devices out there, because people got a false security with encryption.
Because encryption is safe in certain conditions and would never be safe to implement in a manufacturing environment to place inside machines. The instant the primary/server key is copied, its over and even the toughest firewall can't block them.