FCC Finds 68 percent of U.S. Broadband... Isn't

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

discodyret

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I live outside of Copenhagen (Denmark), and in my area we can only get 50/50Mbit, and no cap. Its dirt cheap 15$ per month.

BUT im still envy some of my Sweedish neighbours who can get 1Gbit for 40 USD :(

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
As far as the US being behind a lot of other countries, i think i've explained this before.. First MOST countries are smaller than the US, some smaller than average size states.. The sheer size of the country makes it difficult for staying with the times, not to mention the fact that Ma Bell (AT&T Wire) is largely responsible for the actual communication networks.. Once you think of that, its a miracle we get 256k..

Of course. North America in general is the most backward location on earth in terms of internet connection. We should all be taking a page out of Asia and Europe in developing the nationwide network.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
$45 - almost 5Mb/s, 600Kb/s up. This lets me thinking if world-wide internet ever catches with high def video (50-100Mbps streaming). Don't think disk media is going anywhere for the next 20-50 years :)

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Yeah, here in the U.S. it has been no real secret that when it comes to overall internet speed that we have consistently been behind other countries. It has been a while since I looked and don't quote me on this, but I think on average we rank somewhere between 15-17 in rankings world wide. Course that depends on which report you read, either way it is pretty pathetic.[/citation]

Yah, but look at the size of the USA and how far apart our major cities are from each other. This has had a major effect on the availability of true high speed internet. Look at other countries of simular size and the USA looks rather good. Australia and Canada for example have slower speeds and horrible bandwith caps at higher prices.

You guys in the USA are getting your a$$ raped by the network companies. Over here in SK I get 100Mb down / 100Mb up at 38,000KRW (about $30 USD) a month. Actual tested speeds are approx 90Mbps down / 68 Mbps up depending on where I'm pointing too.

G

so then since advertised at 50 mbps and actualy getting 18 - 21 mbps isnt false and misleading?

Status
Not open for further replies.