[SOLVED] Fiber optic broadband require IP renew to maintain speed?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
I recently got a fiber connection, but one thing puzzels me. The router provided comes from a company called lcotera. Once a day I need to do an IP renew manually or else the speed drops from 213/202 to 65/45. This happens both if I use Wifi and RJ-45 connection to router. Then I do a IP-renew, the connection speeds up again.

Could this be a router issue or low capacity from the provider?

P.s. There is no data-cap from the provider.

kanewolf

Titan
I recently got a fiber connection, but one thing puzzels me. The router provided comes from a company called lcotera. Once a day I need to do an IP renew manually or else the speed drops from 213/202 to 65/45. This happens both if I use Wifi and RJ-45 connection to router. Then I do a IP-renew, the connection speeds up again.

Could this be a router issue or low capacity from the provider?

P.s. There is no data-cap from the provider.
Do you have to do an IP renew on your PC or on the router?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Do you have to do an IP renew on your PC or on the router?

I just used ipconfig /renew from CMD.exe.

The only thing I can find in the router regarding lease time for IP is this.

View: https://imgur.com/a/3WLzIAx

There is also this these settings here.

View: https://imgur.com/a/rxdckHI

But since the router along with the fiberbox was installed by a fiber company technician who didn't provide me with any kind of manual. Then I am not sure which settings to change.

So Any thoughts?

kanewolf

Titan
OK, the reason I asked is to be unambiguous about where the problem might be. If you are renewing the address on your PC, then it is probably a problem in your PC and not the ISP or router.
And since it is both wired and wireless, you will probably have to focus on a software issue.
How long does it take to drop? An hour or 18 hours of continuous use?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
OK, the reason I asked is to be unambiguous about where the problem might be. If you are renewing the address on your PC, then it is probably a problem in your PC and not the ISP or router.
And since it is both wired and wireless, you will probably have to focus on a software issue.
How long does it take to drop? An hour or 18 hours of continuous use?

Its circa every 18 hours. Any setting in Windows you would surgest that I take a look at?

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
With an 18 hour requirement, it would be difficult to use a Linux OS to troubleshoot.
Does it matter what applications you have used during that period? Do you have torrents or anything unusual running?

I use Windows 10 Pro (2004) no I don't use torrents or any high demanding services. I still even have my old DSL connection running my TV and phone connection. So it take some of the load.