[SOLVED] Fiber Optic Single-Mode Simplex SC/APC to RJ-45 Ethernet Adapter/Interface card

I'm looking for either a network interface card (PCIe) or media convertor (or other solution) to go from a fiber optic single-mode simplex cable with an SC/APC connector to an RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet to be used inside a home.

So far, I've found this TRENDnet Intelligent 1000Base-T to 1000Base-LX Dual Wavelength Single Mode SC Fiber Media Converter (10km/6.2miles) Fiber to Ethernet Converter, Fiber Port, RJ-45, Lifetime Protection, TFC-1000S10D5. But this seems more than I need, as I'm simply using it inside a home.

I think I'd rather have something like this Synology E10G21-F2 Dual Port 10G SFP+ PCIe 3.0 Ethernet Adapter (possibly a cheaper one with a single SFP+ port). Would I simply need a cheap female to male adapter I see scattered everywhere on Amazon? The cheap adapter idea does not give me a good feeling.

I cannot find a NIC with a simplex SC/APC port for the cable as shown below. This is for an internet facing WAN connection.
gwBLWjN.jpg

Solution
I'm looking for either a network interface card (PCIe) or media convertor (or other solution) to go from a fiber optic single-mode simplex cable with an SC/APC connector to an RJ-45 Gigabit Ethernet to be used inside a home.

So far, I've found this TRENDnet Intelligent 1000Base-T to 1000Base-LX Dual Wavelength Single Mode SC Fiber Media Converter (10km/6.2miles) Fiber to Ethernet Converter, Fiber Port, RJ-45, Lifetime Protection, TFC-1000S10D5. But this seems more than I need, as I'm simply using it inside a home.

I think I'd rather have something like this Synology E10G21-F2 Dual Port 10G SFP+ PCIe 3.0 Ethernet Adapter (possibly a cheaper one with a single SFP+ port). Would I simply need a cheap female to male adapter...

kanewolf

Titan

I think I'd rather have something like this Synology E10G21-F2 Dual Port 10G SFP+ PCIe 3.0 Ethernet Adapter (possibly a cheaper one with a single SFP+ port). Would I simply need a cheap female to male adapter I see scattered everywhere on Amazon? The cheap adapter idea does not give me a good feeling.

I cannot find a NIC with a simplex SC/APC port for the cable as shown below. This is for an internet facing WAN connection.
gwBLWjN.jpg
Generally, simplex single mode fiber is used in GPON ISP connections. And typically the GPON modem supplied by the ISP is required.
Are you trying to connect to an ISP without their modem?

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy
Solution
GPON is a completely different protocol that ethernet. GPON has many people connected to the same exact fiber strand where ethernet is all point to point.

In addition the ISP do all kinds of things to prevent you from connection stuff to their network. In addition to the GPON setting there are encryption setting that they will not share with you.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy

USAFRet

Titan
My ISP informed me I could choose to replace their modem/router with something different. I would still require a modem..
Fiber connections are different.

I can replace the Verizon G1100 router for something else if I choose
That accepts coax or ethernet from the ONT.

I cannot replace the ONT.
That is what translates/decrypts the fiber signal into coax or ethernet.
Performs the same function as a traditional "modem". Totally proprietary to Verizon.

It seems to depend on the country. In the USA it tends to be impossible to buy a device you can hook to a fiber....well you can buy them but the ISP will not activate them.

I have seen quite a few people on this forum that buy router with gpon interfaces used in india. I was very surprised since fiber is so easily damaged, a simple finger print on the end of the fiber will cause signal degradation. You wouldn't think they would want customers handling the fiber cables at all.

In any case there is very little reason to do it unless you somehow get rid of some extra router rental fee. It would be similar to say a cable modem. You might own the hardware but the ISP is in full control of most the setting including firmware upgrades.