Fiber Optics: Refraction & Reflection

stefmc

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hi all,

I'm currently studying computer networking at college. Although it is my summer break, I'm going back over my notes to refresh my memory (or increase it) so the next year isn't as a blur when I started.

The problem is, I can't seem to grasp the concept of refraction and reflection - let alone apply that theory to understand how fiber optic cabling works.

If someone could talk to me like a child, I'll probably understand better than because most explanations on the web just don't talk to you as if you are new to the 'game'.

Hope someone can help. Thanks

Solution
The basic are well explained (IMO) in this article.

Reflection is when the light bounces back from a material (ex: mirror) and refraction is when it passes through, but changes trajectory in the process (ex: ever did the experiment when you put a pen in a glass of water and in seems to be bent ... that is refraction).

I'm no telecom expert so I don't know all the details, but I guess the part that mostly relates to fiber-optics is what is called "total internal reflection". When going from a dense to a less dense material, light normaly refracts, but given a specific angle, it simply reflects. It is highly important to fiber-optics because otherwise light would slowly "slip out" of the cable over a distance unless the...

Zenthar

Distinguished
The basic are well explained (IMO) in this article.

Reflection is when the light bounces back from a material (ex: mirror) and refraction is when it passes through, but changes trajectory in the process (ex: ever did the experiment when you put a pen in a glass of water and in seems to be bent ... that is refraction).

I'm no telecom expert so I don't know all the details, but I guess the part that mostly relates to fiber-optics is what is called "total internal reflection". When going from a dense to a less dense material, light normaly refracts, but given a specific angle, it simply reflects. It is highly important to fiber-optics because otherwise light would slowly "slip out" of the cable over a distance unless the cable was perfectly straight. Because of total internal reflection, the light is simply reflected back into the cable.

Solution

stefmc

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Wow, that little article really helped me understand a little bit more. I'm checking it also with a physics book and it seems to be coming into perspective, especially with your explanation.

I thank you!