Question File Explorer Not Working properly - Won't Stay Put !

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hello

To be clear this is in Win 11 - but I've placed this here as I know most things work the same in 10 and 11.

BTW - Windows is all up to date.

So for File Explorer - Sometimes I need to copy and/or move lots of different files and/or folders from one folder/drive to another - it's a long tedious chore...

This has been made far slower, and annoying as for some reason; every time I alt tab or click into another folder in another File Explorer Window - when I come back it scrolls back to the top of the list of files losing my place and causing more wasted time getting back to where I was.

For example

If I have a long list of documents in one folder (like many screens worth)....

Say I copy a file/folder three screens down, click on the file, copy, then alt tab to another File Explorer window where I dump it.... done.

But when I come back to the original (primary) File Explorer window, instead of the list of files/folders staying three screens down where it was, and the file still being highlighted which I last clicked on - instead it scrolls right back up to the top as if I've just opened that folder.

It's a huge nuisance and just makes a painful chore even worse.

Is there some setting or something that I'm missing which I need to change to stop this annoying behaviour ?

I'd like this change to be global across the entire File Explorer - forever!

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help

You could try adding folders to the Quick Access list (right click on folder, select Pin to Quick Access) so they stay at the top of the list. I do that for several of my most used folders.

Alternatively, resize your windows so you can see both source and target on the screen at once without needing to alt tab.

Last edited: