Question Files saved in an old application, not showing up on my disk

Feb 27, 2020
Hi,

I'm using an old software called "GS Advanced Editor 4.0" (from ca. 1999) to edit parameters on my Roland Sound Canvas module. Whenever I save a file to my C: drive using the program, the files only ever appear in the software itself. If I try to actually find the files on my C: drive in Windows 10, they're nowhere to be found. Trying to copy the file in the "Save As..." dialogue doesn't allow me to paste the file on my Desktop for instance, as if Windows doesn't find anything to paste. Right clicking the file in the "Save As..." dialogue window and trying to open it in another program results in a "File not found" error.

To me it seems like the program is being run in a sandbox or something similar. The saved files persist inside the software between restarts, but they're nowhere to be found inside Windows. The files aren't hidden. It's like they do not exist at all unless GSAE 4.0 is running and even then, they only exist within itself.

I've made sure Comodo doesn't run the program in a sandbox (it tried containing the program on first launch, but I disabled the containment because to program wouldn't even run properly), but does Windows do something similar automatically in the background for really old software that I'm unaware of? Or is Comodo doing something even though it doesn't appear to according to the settings and it's "Contained apps" window.

It's such a head scratcher, I'm going bald...

/JG

Feb 27, 2020
Fascinating. Saved it successfully to my E: drive and it shows up normally. I feel a bit embarrassed for not having tried that before. I guess I just assumed it would have the same result.

Now I'm just left to wonder where the heck the files I'd previously saved reside? Besides that one file, I have saved a few other project files to the same folder.

Anyways, I thank you for your help!

/JG

Nov 14, 2020
Fascinating. Saved it successfully to my E: drive and it shows up normally. I feel a bit embarrassed for not having tried that before. I guess I just assumed it would have the same result.

Now I'm just left to wonder where the heck the files I'd previously saved reside? Besides that one file, I have saved a few other project files to the same folder.

Anyways, I thank you for your help!

/JG
Well at least you have it running. I'm trying to get it to work on Win10 but keep getting an error telling me to dump a GSAE.ini file and to restart but after I do, it just keeps doing giving the same msg and wont start.

What version do you have? Can you suggrs a place to download a version that works with Win10