Question Finally time to upgrade! (More FPS attempt)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
I need your knowledge! Upgrade Time! What would you do??

It’s been about 3 years since I’ve upgraded but it’s finally time to decide what I want.
I know with my current build the GPU is pretty decent still so I’m thinking a CPU upgrade, which I assume means new mobo and PSU?

Current rig (Mainly gaming):
CPU: Intel i7770K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
MOBO: GigaByte DAZ270P-D3
HDD: 1TB Generic
SDD: 100GB + 250GB WD SSDs
PSU: 650W Seasonic Core Gold GC-650 80PLUS

Have a budget of about 800$ and I don’t know what the best CPUs on the market are? I don’t need the most flashy mobo/ power supply just want to get the most FPS out of this build for gaming!

I just want guidance on what you would do in my situation?

Thanks everyone that helps out!

I’m getting more confused now haha sorry, trying to keep up.

So if I’m correct, my options are:

1. Wait for 13600F and new boards, but will have to wait for reviews etc and unsure of the cost as I do have a budget.

2. Bite the bullet and buy a 12600K, a Z690 board and a couple sticks of RAM.

I just don’t want to have to wait 2/3 months then realise I waited so I could get an extra 2-10 fps.. :/

Also, is a 12700F worth purchasing over a 12600K, or even a 12700K?

Thanks for your patience, I understand I’m a noob haha.
The 13600F should come in at around $250 USD. A decent B760 DDR5 board will go for about $150 - 180 USD if I had to guess. With that said DDR5 is continually going down in price on a weekly basis.

Reactions: DXVIDM
I’m getting more confused now haha sorry, trying to keep up.

So if I’m correct, my options are:

1. Wait for 13600F and new boards, but will have to wait for reviews etc and unsure of the cost as I do have a budget.

2. Bite the bullet and buy a 12600K, a Z690 board and a couple sticks of RAM.

I just don’t want to have to wait 2/3 months then realise I waited so I could get an extra 2-10 fps.. :/

Also, is a 12700F worth purchasing over a 12600K, or even a 12700K?

Thanks for your patience, I understand I’m a noob haha.

1; 13600F will NOT have integrated video. Any Intel CPU 12th or 13th generation CPU ending in F does not have integrated video. Non-F usually costs a few dollars more and many would gladly pay for it.

2; 12600K does NOT require Z690. B660 and others work with it.

3; 12700F/12600K/12700K gaming differences are well publicized in tests all over the net. "Worth" is always personal. How disappointed would you be if your choice later appears to be "wrong"? Second-guess yourself forever? Is it wrong to spend 50 dollars to get 3 more FPS? You can chase your tail on this stuff forever.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
The 13600F should come in at around $250 USD. A decent B760 DDR5 board will go for about $150 - 180 USD if I had to guess. With that said DDR5 is continually going down in price on a weekly basis.
Ok personally at this point I think the waiting months for the potential to get an extra 10-20 fps at most mightn’t appeal to me.
I think the second best option is to go for a 12600K or 12700K, but I want to find a decent budget mobo for them, I don’t need Wi-Fi and stuff like that. Any suggestions on that? :)

Reactions: Why_Me

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
1; 13600F will NOT have integrated video. Any Intel CPU 12th or 13th generation CPU ending in F does not have integrated video. Non-F usually costs a few dollars more and many would gladly pay for it.

2; 12600K does NOT require Z690. B660 and others work with it.

3; 12700F/12600K/12700K gaming differences are well publicized in tests all over the net. "Worth" is always personal. How disappointed would you be if your choice later appears to be "wrong"? Second-guess yourself forever? Is it wrong to spend 50 dollars to get 3 more FPS? You can chase your tail on this stuff forever.
https://phanteks.com/Eclipse-P400A.html

Phanteks case manual says your case can accept CPU coolers up to 160 mm tall.

That would include many of the most popular choices. Barely.
Ok cool, I think I’ll go with a K version and maybe just going to buy a 12th gen as it seems more in my budget range, plus I’m worried I’ll wait a few months and the 13600 mightn’t be that huge of a jump for the time waited?

As mentioned in another reply I don’t know which budget mobo to get in that case so all suggestions welcome. And do we still think the EVO 212 might need an upgrade or would it work for the 12th gen chips?

Ok personally at this point I think the waiting months for the potential to get an extra 10-20 fps at most mightn’t appeal to me.
I think the second best option is to go for a 12600K or 12700K, but I want to find a decent budget mobo for them, I don’t need Wi-Fi and stuff like that. Any suggestions on that? :)

MSI Mag B660M Mortar Wifi DDR 4 version

Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro AX DDR 4 version

I think both are also available in DDR 5 versions. I’d probably go for the DDR 5 version, but not a big deal.

And do we still think the EVO 212 might need an upgrade or would it work for the 12th gen chips?

"Work"...absolutely. Assuming you have the right adapter so it will mount on a socket 1700 motherboard.

And assuming it is not too tall.

"Ideal". No, but you are on a budget.

Tolerable for now at least? Probably. Unless you are the type to panic when you see temps of 75C or 80C. Are you? Or unless your room temp is 29C/85F and higher most of the time. Is it?

They ship to Ireland.

DDR4 board.

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90853353

DDR5

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90906869

https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90853355

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
MSI Mag B660M Mortar Wifi DDR 4 version

Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro AX DDR 4 version

I think both are also available in DDR 5 versions. I’d probably go for the DDR 5 version, but not a big deal.
I can’t seem to find the DDR5 versions on Amazon or where to get them online, not
On pcpartpicker as far as I can see?

And on the topic of the cooler, are there any decent budget ones that would fit better without the adapter etc? Or what would you suggest for my case?

I can’t seem to find the DDR5 versions on Amazon or where to get them online, not
On pcpartpicker as far as I can see?

And on the topic of the cooler, are there any decent budget ones that would fit better without the adapter etc? Or what would you suggest for my case?

Noctua is the only cooler brand I keep up with. They aren't normally called "budget". A U9S Noctua would work and fit, but might be out of your budget. U12S might be right at the height limit?

Why_Me can probably pick one out for you. I think Deep Cool has some down at 50 dollars or less.

Be careful on those boards on the DDR 4/5 distinction. I was looking around at board manufacturers web sites a week or two ago and could not find DDR 4 versions!! May have been a temporary glitch, but you need to be sure which version you are ordering so you can be sure to get the right RAM to match with it.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Oh damn! I couldn’t find anywhere selling the DDR5 ones when I just googled.

Ok so seems on that website I can build with DDR5 mobo, DDR5 ram and a 12700k for 850€ total.

But if I decide to go with the DDR4 versions via Amazon it’s 690€.

What would you do with a tight budget? Don’t need to spend unnecessary money, but if the benifits are worth, then hmm.

Reactions: Why_Me

Ok so seems on that website I can build with DDR5 mobo, DDR5 ram and a 12700k for 850€ total.

What would you do with a tight budget? Don’t need to spend unnecessary money, but if the benifits are worth, then hmm.
DDR4 3600 is fast. ^^

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Noctua is the only cooler brand I keep up with. They aren't normally called "budget". A U9S Noctua would work and fit, but might be out of your budget. U12S might be right at the height limit?

Why_Me can probably pick one out for you. I think Deep Cool has some down at 50 dollars or less.

Be careful on those boards on the DDR 4/5 distinction. I was looking around at board manufacturers web sites a week or two ago and could not find DDR 4 versions!! May have been a temporary glitch, but you need to be sure which version you are ordering so you can be sure to get the right RAM to match with it.
Ok I’ve had a quick browse of the noctura and seems like they’re in the 50-100 range. If you think that my current EVO will be enough for the time being I would probably just hold off purchasing one until after Xmas.
Can I just double check the following mobo will work with 12th gen, without adapater and will work for my system?
Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 (Socket LGA1700) Micro ATX Motherboard https://amzn.eu/d/8tks3Xf

If that boils down to 160 Euros more just to get DDR 5, same CPU, same motherboard....I say no.

You'd be better off spending the 160 on a stronger CPU, a new power supply, a better cooler, etc.

Or wine.

Can I just double check the following mobo will work with 12th gen, without adapater and will work for my system?
Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 (Socket LGA1700) Micro ATX Motherboard https://amzn.eu/d/8tks3Xf

What do you mean "adapter"? Cooler adapter so the Hyper 212 will fit on your board?

If you are going to use your existing Hyper 212 cooler, you will need an adapter REGARDLESS of your motherboard choice. Probably 5 or 10 bucks. Maybe from Cooler Master direct. Maybe from your regular sources.

The Noctuas and most any new cooler you might buy should certainly be ready for use on a new motherboard and would NOT need a separately purchased adapter. You need to confirm "socket 1700 compatible" for any proposed new cooler.

Will that motherboard "work"?

Yes.

Not what I'd buy. Unless forced by budget.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Or wine.

Now we’re talking!
What do you mean "adapter"? Cooler adapter so the Hyper 212 will fit on your board?

If you are going to use your existing Hyper 212 cooler, you will need an adapter REGARDLESS of your motherboard choice. Probably 5 or 10 bucks. Maybe from Cooler Master direct. Maybe from your regular sources.

The Noctuas and most any new cooler you might buy should certainly be ready for use on a new motherboard and would NOT need an adapter. You need to confirm "socket 1700 compatible" for any proposed new cooler.

Will that motherboard "work"?

Yes.

Not what I'd buy.
Ooooh sorry, I thought I’d need an adapter depending on which mobo I picked, got confused! I will need an adapter if I decide to keep the EVO, got it!

And for the mobo, if not what you’d buy what would? Is this the correct one you suggested above? If so I could get that, only like 50 more expensive and seems more reliable

GIGABYTE B660M AORUS PRO AX DDR4 (B660/ Intel/LGA/ 1700/ Micro-ATX/ DDR4/ Dual M.2/ PCIe 4.0/ USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C/WiFi 6 802.11ax/ Intel 2.5GbE LAN/Motherboard) https://amzn.eu/d/f4Zu2cO

GIGABYTE B660M AORUS PRO AX DDR4 (B660/ Intel/LGA/ 1700/ Micro-ATX/ DDR4/ Dual M.2/ PCIe 4.0/ USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C/WiFi 6 802.11ax/ Intel 2.5GbE LAN/Motherboard) https://amzn.eu/d/f4Zu2cO

That's the DDR 4 version of one of my choices, yes.

It or the MSI I mentioned in post 31 above.

Both are OK for 12600K or 12700K.

If you want 13000 series CPUs, I'd wait for newer boards in January.

If you cannot wait, go ahead....pick RAM, cooler if any, etc.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020

Ok, I don’t think I’m going to wait. If needs be I can always upgrade next year and sell this one to cover some of the cost :)

So final additions, please let me know if all these will be compatible with my system and work nicely together:

GIGABYTE B660 Aorus Pro
i7 12700K
Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3600Hz (Non LED)
EVO 212 Adapter

And then my current parts:
CPU: Intel i7770K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
MOBO: GigaByte DAZ270P-D3
SDD: 100GB + 250GB WD SSDs

Will my PSU be ok for those 3 upgrades, I’ll stick with the EVO 212 for now with the adapter? Let me know any concerns before I start making my final decision :)
Thanks again!

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020

Also, could you link me the adapters for the EVO? I don’t know where to look lol. Currently my EVO is touching my case, I’m worried the adapter will add more and if so mightn’t fit at all. So a different fan may be necessary, if so do you know any budget ones maybe 50€ that will have enough room? The noctura seem similar size :/

Also, could you link me the adapters for the EVO? I don’t know where to look lol. Currently my EVO is touching my case, I’m worried the adapter will add more and if so mightn’t fit at all. So a different fan may be necessary, if so do you know any budget ones maybe 50€ that will have enough room? The noctura seem similar size :/

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...ics&sprefix=cooler+master+adap,aps,146&sr=1-2

I think above is the adapter at Amazon USA. I have no idea about UK.

Probably also available from Cooler Master direct if you want that hassle.

I'm spooked by you saying the EVO is rubbing on your case. Don't know if the adapter might add a millimeter?

Noctua U9S is under 150 mm tall; adapter should be included; includes thermal paste.

Why_Me can find something cheaper than Noctua I'm sure. Deep Cool maybe.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Intel-Processors-Editon/dp/B09TWVPXS5/ref=sr_1_2?crid=496PND4BRFJO&keywords=lga+1700+cooler+master+adapter&qid=1669124036&refinements=p_89:Cooler+Master&rnid=2528832011&s=electronics&sprefix=cooler+master+adap,aps,146&sr=1-2

I think above is the adapter at Amazon USA. I have no idea about UK.

Probably also available from Cooler Master direct if you want that hassle.

I'm spooked by you saying the EVO is rubbing on your case. Don't know if the adapter might add a millimeter?

Noctua U9S is under 150 mm tall; adapter should be included; includes thermal paste.

Why_Me can find something cheaper than Noctua I'm sure. Deep Cool maybe.
Ok Nevermind I checked and it’s not touching hahah I thought it was, haven’t opened it in a couple months 😅

Ok cool and for the parts above, reckon itll all work nicely together?

See comments in line

Ok, I don’t think I’m going to wait. If needs be I can always upgrade next year and sell this one to cover some of the cost :)

So final additions, please let me know if all these will be compatible with my system and work nicely together:

GIGABYTE B660 Aorus Pro

No?? Not B660M???

Not sure of benefit of 32 rather than 16 for you. Good chance existing 16 will work and you'd never notice the difference. Not a high priority but maybe medium....depending on budget as usual. RAM speed is less important than RAM amount. Do you need 32 at all? If you need only 16, what is the tangible benefit of 3600 speed rather than existing 2400?

Do you have a better place to spend that money on this PC?

EVO 212 Adapter

Yes if you keep the EVO.

Candidate for replacement by SSD.

SDD: 100GB + 250GB WD SSDs;

OK if no more than say 3/4 full and won't be soon.

That's a mid-line Seasonic; not ancient; I'd stick with it at your budget...at least until you change to a higher powered video card.

Take some deep breaths. Don't rush. Re-analyze choices, questions, etc.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
See comments in line

GIGABYTE B660 Aorus Pro
>No?? Not B660M???

I meant B660M whoops! But I can’t find many on Amazon that ship here, would this be up to scratch?

>Not sure of benefit of 32 rather than 16 for you. Good chance existing 16 will work and you'd never notice the difference. Not a high priority but maybe medium....depending on budget as usual. RAM speed is less important than RAM amount. Do you need 32 at all? If you need only 16, what is the tangible benefit of 3600 speed rather than existing 2400?

I’ve got no clue if I would benifit that much from it, to be honest I don’t to much multitasking. When I game I close most programs and I don’t use it for work, I’ve got a different laptop for that so browsing etc is usually at a minimum. So it sounds like I could skip the RAM upgrade for now!

>Do you have a better place to spend that money on this PC?
Suggestions welcome!

EVO 212 Adapter

Yes if you keep the EVO.

Candidate for replacement by SSD.
Only ever use this for non OS/ Non games, just random files/ extra storage.

That's a mid-line Seasonic; not ancient; I'd stick with it at your budget...at least until you change to a higher powered video card.

Take some deep breaths. Don't rush. Re-analyze choices, questions, etc.

You right!

GIGABYTE B660 Aorus Pro
>No?? Not B660M???

I meant B660M whoops! But I can’t find many on Amazon that ship here, would this be up to scratch?

I rejected that board 6 months ago, but don't recall why.

You need to be aware of the smaller differences (features) on any prospective motherboard.

You need to examine the specification sheets on any board of interest at the manufacturer's web site.

For instance, how do they differ in:

Monitor connections type and number; Display Port? HDMI version this? HDMI version that? Do you need 1, 2, or 3 monitors in the future?

How many case fan connectors might be useful to you? No more than 3?

Number and type of M.2 ports; do they accept SATA drives? NVMe drives? Both? Do those ports support PCIe 4.0 drives or do you care? Is it likely you will buy a couple of M.2 drives during the life of this motherboard?

Number and type of USB connections front and back. This can matter if you use external drives or other devices to any extent.

Do you need wireless capability on the board?

Do you need somewhat uncommon stuff like Thunderbolt?

Other than video card, what other cards might you ever want to put in a slot? Adapter of some type? Sound card?

Etc, etc.

You can ignore all of this and probably muddle through the limitations you discover after the purchase, but that would be on you completely.