Question Finally time to upgrade! (More FPS attempt)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
I need your knowledge! Upgrade Time! What would you do??

It’s been about 3 years since I’ve upgraded but it’s finally time to decide what I want.
I know with my current build the GPU is pretty decent still so I’m thinking a CPU upgrade, which I assume means new mobo and PSU?

Current rig (Mainly gaming):
CPU: Intel i7770K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
MOBO: GigaByte DAZ270P-D3
HDD: 1TB Generic
SDD: 100GB + 250GB WD SSDs
PSU: 650W Seasonic Core Gold GC-650 80PLUS

Have a budget of about 800$ and I don’t know what the best CPUs on the market are? I don’t need the most flashy mobo/ power supply just want to get the most FPS out of this build for gaming!

I just want guidance on what you would do in my situation?

Thanks everyone that helps out!

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
I rejected that board 6 months ago, but don't recall why.

You need to be aware of the smaller differences (features) on any prospective motherboard.

You need to examine the specification sheets on any board of interest at the manufacturer's web site.

For instance, how do they differ in:

Monitor connections type and number; Display Port? HDMI version this? HDMI version that? Do you need 1, 2, or 3 monitors in the future?

How many case fan connectors might be useful to you? No more than 3?

Number and type of M.2 ports; do they accept SATA drives? NVMe drives? Both? Do those ports support PCIe 4.0 drives or do you care? Is it likely you will buy a couple of M.2 drives during the life of this motherboard?

Number and type of USB connections front and back. This can matter if you use external drives or other devices to any extent.

Do you need wireless capability on the board?

Do you need somewhat uncommon stuff like Thunderbolt?

Other than video card, what other cards might you ever want to put in a slot? Adapter of some type? Sound card?

Etc, etc.

You can ignore all of this and probably muddle through the limitations you discover after the purchase, but that would be on you completely.
Honestly not looking to go crazy with extra on a mobo, no sound adapters, only card I use is my GPU, no need for Wi-Fi as I use Ethernet, need about 4 usb slots max, 2x front fans, 2x top fans and 1x back fan.

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Thank you for all your help, probably going to go with the
- Gigabyte B660 DS3H AX DDR4
(I don’t know why you want me to go B660m it just looks like a it’s a micro, and I don’t see the appeal of a micro?)
-Hyper 212 Adapter

Coming out to be 550€ including shipping etc. I think I can just purchase those three things and pop them in my machine easily.

Then I may decide to get a new fan and RAM in a couple weeks since you’ve explained that they aren’t urgent! :)

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
Hey!
Just wondering if these would work together, when using pcpartpicker it says the motherboard may be wrong version!

Current Build (Mainly Gaming):
CPU: Intel i7770K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz
MOBO: GigaByte DAZ270P-D3
HDD: 1TB Generic
SDD: 100GB + 250GB WD SSDs
PSU: 650W Seasonic Core Gold GC-650 80PLUS
Case: Phantex Eclipse P400A
Cooler: Hyper Evo 212

Parts I wanted to add:
Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 ATX
Intel i5 13600k
Hyper Evo Upgrade Kit

I've gotten help from another user on here to get this far, but I wanted someone else to give it the once over to make sure!

Budget is around 700-750€ and via CaseKing.de this is coming to 680€.
Any chances/ things you notice that could be improved on, let me know!

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
You will most likely need to update the motherboard BIOS in order for the Z690 to support the Intel 13th generation processors. I would also suggest you get RAM that has 3200 Mhz speed as its the sweet spot for Intel on DDR4. Additionally, the Hyper 212 Evo won't be able to cool the 13600K and you will need to upgrade it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
when using pcpartpicker it says the motherboard may be wrong version!

It does not say that. What pcpp says, is:
The Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard supports the Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor with BIOS version F20. If the motherboard is using an older BIOS version, upgrading the BIOS will be necessary to support the CPU.

pcpp listing: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (€375.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (€56.82 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€223.99 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €656.80

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-22 20:03 CET+0100

Hyper Evo Upgrade Kit

Only good part of that CPU cooler is it's low price. In all other aspects, namely cooling, it does fall short. So, don't cheap out on CPU cooler.

E.g Freezer 34 eSports DUO, that i included above, is one very solid CPU cooler. It's height is 158.8mm.
Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352.html

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
You will most likely need to update the motherboard BIOS in order for the Z690 to support the Intel 13th generation processors. I would also suggest you get RAM that has 3200 Mhz speed as its the sweet spot for Intel on DDR4. Additionally, the Hyper 212 Evo won't be able to cool the 13600K and you will need to upgrade it.
What mobo would you recommend then in the same price range? :/

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
It does not say that. What pcpp says, is:

pcpp listing: PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (€375.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (€56.82 @ notebooksbilliger.de)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€223.99 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €656.80

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-22 20:03 CET+0100

Only good part of that CPU cooler is it's low price. In all other aspects, namely cooling, it does fall short. So, don't cheap out on CPU cooler.

E.g Freezer 34 eSports DUO, that i included above, is one very solid CPU cooler. It's height is 158.8mm.
Review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352.html
That Mindfactory site doesnt ship to Ireland :(

But you recommend then the CPU, Mobo and that cooler? I can grab that from amazon!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But you recommend then the CPU, Mobo and that cooler? I can grab that from amazon!

CPU and CPU cooler are solid and these two would be what i'd buy for myself as well. Though, make sure that your PC case has CPU cooler clearance of 159mm or more, before getting that CPU cooler.

As far as MoBo goes, i, personally, prefer MSI. Asus is also good. EVGA, especially Gigabyte, won't make my bucket list. Still, this doesn't mean that EVGA or Gigabyte MoBos are bad. Several Gigabyte Z690 chipset MoBos have reviewed very well and are suggested by Tom's Hardware,
article: https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-motherboards

Though, do note that those MoBos support DDR5.

With Intel 13th gen CPU, i, personally, would go with Z790 chipset MoBo, since those MoBos doesn't need latest BIOS (as Z690 does), for them to work with the CPU. And there are even DDR4 MoBos among Z790 chipset,
pcpp (ordered by name): https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=162&mt=ddr4&sort=name&page=1

DXVIDM

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
CPU and CPU cooler are solid and these two would be what i'd buy for myself as well. Though, make sure that your PC case has CPU cooler clearance of 159mm or more, before getting that CPU cooler.

As far as MoBo goes, i, personally, prefer MSI. Asus is also good. EVGA, especially Gigabyte, won't make my bucket list. Still, this doesn't mean that EVGA or Gigabyte MoBos are bad. Several Gigabyte Z690 chipset MoBos have reviewed very well and are suggested by Tom's Hardware,
article: https://www.tomshardware.com/best-picks/best-motherboards

Though, do note that those MoBos support DDR5.

With Intel 13th gen CPU, i, personally, would go with Z790 chipset MoBo, since those MoBos doesn't need latest BIOS (as Z690 does), for them to work with the CPU. And there are even DDR4 MoBos among Z790 chipset,
pcpp (ordered by name): https://de.pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=162&mt=ddr4&sort=name&page=1
Sorry can’t reply in depth as I’m using my phone right now but would this do the trick then with your recommendation?
MSI Pro Z790-P DDR4

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but would this do the trick then with your recommendation?
MSI Pro Z790-P DDR4

MoBo looks a bit "slim" when looking at it. Then again, it's made for business use and doesn't come with any of the fancy and flashy RGB that is common on consumer MoBos. MoBo will work though and if you like the "minimalism" it offers, it would be a good fit,
specs: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-P-DDR4

Oh, one more thing:

Do note that all the PC components that i've shared here in this topic (and elsewhere in the forums) are suggestions and not recommendations.
Suggestion, as such, is an idea that i present for your consideration while backed up with additional data (specs page, reviews, comparisons etc) where you have easy to access for additional information. With suggestion, it's up to you to decide which part to go with.
Recommendation, in the other hand, is a statement where i basically say that:"this is the one", without proving why i want you to go with this part and where you only have my word to rely on.
If i do recommend something (happens very rarely), i also state that it's a recommendation.

Reactions: Karadjgne

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
More than likely, from any high volume store like Amazon or Case King, a B660 will not need a bios update. The 13thGen Intel has been out long enough now that any recently manufactured motherboard will already come with the updated bios. The only way for certain you'd get a 12thGen only bios is through a low volume store, where the board purchased has been in possession of the store since right before 13thGen release date.

So right now, any 12thGen still in production will be getting the updated bios, but it'll be a crap-shoot as to manufacturing date of the purchased board.

Phone is no excuse lol, I'm primarily on phone, think the last time I logged in via pc was like 6 months ago. In some respects, the mobile forum is actually easier than pc.

3200MHz/C16 Ram is A sweetspot because between Amd and Intel, that was by far the highest demand, highest selling ram, so competition drive the pricing down farther than other speeds. Which gave it a very favorable price to performance ratio. Many times, slower speeds such as 2400MHz actually cost more than 3200MHz.

I personally have always relied on Asus. As a rule of thumb, they are generally solid performance products. Sometimes that performance is at the bottom of the Big Brands, sometimes it's on top, but that's true of Any brand. At one point, MSI had by far the absolute Best AMD B boards, but the X series were lower than mediocre at the same time. Gigabyte had the worst AMD B boards, but the best X boards, in ATX/mATX, Asus had the best mITX in both B and X.

So brands as such will have a variable outcome, a lot will depend entirely on the product in question, the tier level of the product, the expected buyer budget etc. I'd rather have a high tier B than a bottom tier Z for instance.

So instead of shopping by brand, choose the equipment by what's roughly going to fit in the budget, then do some research on which will do what you need, whether it's worth the price, does it fit the build, are the components used actually decent.

You can find a lot of info by hitting websites such as Hardware Unboxed, they do a lot of testing vs brand and will give a good idea what's good, what's not, what's worth spending an extra €10 on etc.

Right now you have a viable working pc. That means you are Not pressed for time, realistically. That gives you a definitive advantage over others less patient as it gives you the time to research, to get the best 'bang for your buck' build. It may not be the cheapest possible, nor the most expensive, but the end result will better off. Performance is always a bonus, but being happy and satisfied that you got the best deal on the pc lasts a lot longer and is overall more gratifying.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I would never regard a BIOS update as simple or easy.

If you know what you are doing...it's low risk.

If you are inexperienced, the risk rises.

Even for the experienced, it's not without risk and the headaches if it goes bad are high.

It's a personal decision: take the risk, or make another choice for maybe different dollars that does not have that risk. I'm not going to try to steer you.

RAM: that stuff will likely work. Nothing is certain with RAM. Worst case, you return it and get something else.

"Everything should work perfectly" is also a phrase I'd shy away from, considering PC components generally and quality control being what it is. The CPU is extremely reliable, but a certain percentage of the other stuff is dead on arrival or highly problematic early on. No way around it.
That is not really true any longer with the BIOS flash button you don't even need a processor installed.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE