Question Find out if computer contains "secret" / "hidden" hardware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Dear all

I use Windows 10

1)
It is not a concern, but I was wondering how I can found out, if my computer contains hardware I am not aware of / “illegal” / “spy” hardware? Without opening up the case / looking at the hardware.

2)
Does Device Manager display ALL hardware connected to my computer?

3)
Is it possible hardware can function, without being shown in Device Manager?

Thank you in advance for replying

Best regards

For that rogue hardware to have any effect (steal my data etc.), it would require my laptop to be connected to the internet? (otherwise they would have to be withing bluetooth / radio distance).
And if the rogue hardware somehow was connected via cellular, my laptop would have internet?
No. They could simply get in range of the device. The Soviets came up with the first instance of technology that we use in RFID tags and the US was unaware of this until someone by chance happened upon the radio frequency they were using.

If some radio, Bluetooth, network / wifi transmitter hardware was put in my laptop without my knowledge. The traffic of that hardware, could I monitor that in Windows?
Im familiar with the embedded Windows Resource Monitor.
It depends. If it's running on Windows' driver stack, you can probably sniff it on Windows. If it's running on its own, then no, you'll have to find some sort of wireless network packet sniffer. And that's assuming it's using a standardized format.

Is there ways to monitor around / outside the laptop, if something malicious shady is going on / traffic?
My phone for example can scan for Bluetooth devices and wifi networks.
No. If someone is sniffing your traffic, there's no way to tell.

Reactions: Oblivion77
The odds of someone placing a device on your laptop vs stealing it are extremely low. That is after you factor in the odds of someone trying to get physical access to your laptop, which is also extremely low, instead of just infiltrating it via whatever networks you connect to via an immense number of methods and approaches to doing so.

TLDR; if someone knew you had sensitive data and were skilled enough, then odds are they already have what they needed and you would be none the wiser.

If the level of concern you are showing is validated by the work you are doing, then there would be equipment that is issued to you that would have to be thoroughly vetted by a department who's sole purpose is dealing with what you are questioning. Have a cup of tea and go about your business.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
No. They could simply get in range of the device. The Soviets came up with the first instance of technology that we use in RFID tags and the US was unaware of this until someone by chance happened upon the radio frequency they were using.

It depends. If it's running on Windows' driver stack, you can probably sniff it on Windows. If it's running on its own, then no, you'll have to find some sort of wireless network packet sniffer. And that's assuming it's using a standardized format.

So yes, they would have to be within "range"?

And if the rogue hardware somehow was connected via cellular / satellite, my laptop would have internet?

DSzymborski

Titan
So a computer can have internet connection, without it actually being shown as online in Windows?

Just because there's a device attached to your computer does not mean that you can interact with it in a way that the device does not intend you to do so.

All this is theoretical, of course, and should not be considered as realistic. I'd recommend watching fewer movies.

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Just because there's a device attached to your computer does not mean that you can interact with it in a way that the device does not intend you to do so.

All this is theoretical, of course, and should not be considered as realistic. I'd recommend watching fewer movies.
So yes, rogue hardware can give internet to my laptop, without me being able to see that im online in Windows / access mail etc. through a browser?

Personally I would boot up a linux live usb like ubuntu and get versed with the "dmidecode" and "lspci" outputs, and compare to your windows device manager list.

Temped to recommend Kali linux so you can query your local network, look into it when you are a bit more versed with linux overall...

Oblivion77

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life
Windows' driver stack, that is all the devices / elements in Windows Device Manager?

If it's running on its own, would it show in Windows Resource Monitor?
How can that be?
If the hidden hardware emits bluetooth- or cellular signal, why could some physical scanner / handheld tool not detect it?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.