Question Find which component has burned

Delhu

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Hi guys,

I was playing on my pc until the screen went purple and the system shut itself down. I also heard something like a flame sound and there was quite some smoke.
I unplugged everything and let it cool down. I initially thought it was the gpu as the fans were recently replaced (by a professional) but I can't find any burn mark. The burnt smell is stronger on the cpu cooler hence I thought it was the cpu. I removed the cooler but again no burn mark.
How can I identify which component has burned? Should I try to power the system up and see what's going on? Or will I mess the rest of the components?

Thank you,
Delhu

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Before you go ahead and presumably cause more damage to the system, we will need more information from you. Mention the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Including the make and model of your PSU and it's age. You should also tear down the entire system and inspect the system inch by square inch to locate burnt or blown componentry. Include an image of your entire system in case you missed something in terms of an obvious giveaway of the culprit.

Delhu

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Oh yes, sorry, forgot about my specs:
  • CPU: i7 6700k
  • CPU cooler: beQuiet shadow rock slim
  • GPU: 980ti g1 gaming
  • mobo: Asus maximus hero VIII
  • PSU: superflower 80 plus platinum
  • ram: gskill ripjaws 5 2x8
  • chassis: corsair 750d
  • ssd: samsung 850 evo basic
  • hdd: Seagate barracuda
Everything was bought 4 years ago.

edit: here are a few pics : View: https://imgur.com/a/vU4cW4q

Last edited:

Delhu

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Hey guys,

So I've removed the gpu, the cpu cooler and its backplate, and cleaned the thermal paste.
No sign of burn on the CPU.
I haven't removed the mobo from the case but I checked for any burn mark or melted plastic: nothing.
The PSU does not smell anything and there is no visible burn sign.
No exterior sign of burn on the GPU either, but I cannot tell for its insides. Still, I think it might be the GPU as its fans were replaced 2 months ago (and it required the card to be disassembled). Besides, a few google searches indicate that a purple screen before a crash is linked to an overheating gpu.
What do you think?