Firefox 4.0: Browser Tabs on Top or Bottom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
When in doubt take both.
Make it up to end-user to choose where to have tab. Problem solved.

Perhaps I want mine on the left.

blasterth

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I want to put it in the left or in the right side!
With the displays that become wider and wider, I'll love to have the tabs steal some horizontal space instead of the rare vertical space.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]urlsen[/nom]I salute firefox chick....why i always read firefox news[/citation]

Note the caption - "on top or on bottom".

I see what they did there.

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]CTPAHHIK[/nom]When in doubt take both. Make it up to end-user to choose where to have tab. Problem solved.[/citation]
1:04-1:15 "But before we go on to the specific reasons I have to make it really, absolutely, perfectly, completely clear that what we're debating is the DEFAULT preference. As always - users have complete control over customizing Firefox, so it's exactly the way they like (...)"

MountainFlip

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
Great video. The interface looks great. Is there really anymore debate about default settings? The last recap in the video gives 4 pros vs. 1 con. The one con is "mouse distance." Hahahaha. How lazy can you get?

I keep my parents on Firefox because of stability and security. I think my parent's will understand the concept of tabbing once this is the default layout for tabs.

I switched over to Google Chrome a few months ago simply because I drank their Koolaid. That and I love the integration with their Google products ie Docs, Calendar, Gmail, etc... Maybe Firefox 4.0 will win me back.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Either way, looking forward to the new version of Firefox. I was once swayed by Chrome but can't stand its disappointing way of blocking ads (of course, that's what Google's business is).

danielgr

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Personally, although I can see some positive features, I'd be pissed off not to be able to use the search toolbar as a global one. Actually, most of the times I use it it's not to search within the opened tab, but to open a new tab with the search.
If they put that toolbar within the tabs it's going to be counter-intuitive (assuming they still give me the opportunity to open a new tab with ALT+ENTER)

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
valid points, but I'll always prefer them to be on the bottom. If they want to improve efficiency, they need to get rid of the largely-empty caption/title bar so that the FF navigation interface and such takes up less vertical screen space. Sure, there are add-ons that do this for you, but it should be the default, or at least a built in option.

[citation][nom]danielgr[/nom]Personally, although I can see some positive features, I'd be pissed off not to be able to use the search toolbar as a global one. Actually, most of the times I use it it's not to search within the opened tab, but to open a new tab with the search.If they put that toolbar within the tabs it's going to be counter-intuitive (assuming they still give me the opportunity to open a new tab with ALT+ENTER)[/citation]
Alt-enter still works in Minefield (aka prerelease firefox) 4.0b2pre (I'm running a nightly build right now).

Status
Not open for further replies.