Firefox 7 Available for Download Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]jakes69[/nom]long time Ffirefox user....man, this browser had gone down the drain from the heyday. Constant freezing and lagging.[/citation]
I too have had these issues and I'm getting tired of all the updates, which is one of the reasons I hate flash. If the updates happen behind the scene where I don't have to close everything down, I wouldn't mind a lot of updates (similar to how my anti virus works).

I hate having to constantly readjust the button layouts, as I don't like their defaults.

G

Dear non-software dev types criticizing Firefox' new release schedule,

Long, slow release cycles are remnants of the era when software came on 3.5" floppy disks. It made sense to pile on tons of features and do a release every 1-2 years back then, because there was no Internet to distribute software updates over.

However, with tons of new features at once, you introduce exponentially more bugs, and also more drastic changes in user experience with each release.

With shorter releases, you can focus on getting a few new features at a time out the door, and bug-free, and done right.

PS: Just because you don't find the rapidly changing numerical suffix to Firefox to your liking, doesn't mean that your discontent is valid, or that anyone should care.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Just downloaded this new version, and it looks like they changed the fonts. It's a subtle difference, but the fonts are definitely different from previous versions of FF.[/citation]
Oh good it's not just me noticing the different font. I don't mind or not mind it, it's just different.

G

A couple means two, not three.

[citation][nom]firefox_douche4life[/nom]Dear non-software dev types criticizing Firefox' new release schedule,Long, slow release cycles are remnants of the era when software came on 3.5" floppy disks. It made sense to pile on tons of features and do a release every 1-2 years back then, because there was no Internet to distribute software updates over.However, with tons of new features at once, you introduce exponentially more bugs, and also more drastic changes in user experience with each release.With shorter releases, you can focus on getting a few new features at a time out the door, and bug-free, and done right.PS: Just because you don't find the rapidly changing numerical suffix to Firefox to your liking, doesn't mean that your discontent is valid, or that anyone should care.[/citation]
Just because you don't mind fiddling with a new release to get everything back to the way you like it every couple months doesn't mean the rest of us want to have to readjust our toolbars to our liking all the time.

I wouldn't mind if they did bug fixes and gave updates, but full new releases are annoying at a high rate, because everything gets reset on the toolbars and I don't like to change the layout all the time. The other alternative is to have to relearn their new layout, which I don't like to do either.

Patches and small updates to fix bugs are fine, especially if they can be done automatically, but these full fledged revisions reset everything back to their default. If this continues, I will be switching to something more stable that doesn't require so much work to use.

P.S. Any discontent anyone has is valid. It's my opinion and you can't control what other think. Apparently a lot of people would rather have a different release cycle. Or least a less annoying one. The customer is who they are trying to please, not the dev's.

I don't much care what the version numbering is....MS went from Word 1.x to 2.x to 6.x to years ..... don't much care what ya call it, doesn't change what it is.

I will say that I was sitting bored on a hotel room, saw the TH article, told FF to "update" rather thn d/l from the link. Hotel wireless is a bit slow and aI sighed mumbling why am I downloading on wireless .... but when it was done, all my add-ons worked except for java console and net framework and ot as quite noticably faster .... at least sitting here in the hotel room.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I am hoping this release makes a Huge difference !

I almost stopped using FireFox as its memory handling is So Bad in 6
I am a Heavy browser with 20 pages + open for days on many different subjects and currently sometimes have to wait for up to 2 mins for Firefox to "Respond" after not using it for an hour or so (that is if is does not crash out again - Usually faster to kill its process and re-load last session -.-" )

and this is on a Q6600 @ 3.3GHZ with 5 GB RAM.

Did not have this problem on earlier versions of FireFox...

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i been using FF since 0.8 beta and its the best browser imo. it was the first to use tabs and then M$ copied that idea. has the best add-ons too!

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]firefox_douche4life[/nom]Dear non-software dev types criticizing Firefox' new release schedule,Long, slow release cycles are remnants of the era when software came on 3.5" floppy disks. It made sense to pile on tons of features and do a release every 1-2 years back then, because there was no Internet to distribute software updates over.However, with tons of new features at once, you introduce exponentially more bugs, and also more drastic changes in user experience with each release.With shorter releases, you can focus on getting a few new features at a time out the door, and bug-free, and done right.PS: Just because you don't find the rapidly changing numerical suffix to Firefox to your liking, doesn't mean that your discontent is valid, or that anyone should care.[/citation]

Oh and how to you like your newly found fragmentation? How many are running 7? 70% maybe?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Pailin[/nom]I am hoping this release makes a Huge difference !I almost stopped using FireFox as its memory handling is So Bad in 6I am a Heavy browser with 20 pages + open for days on many different subjects and currently sometimes have to wait for up to 2 mins for Firefox to "Respond" after not using it for an hour or so ~~ and this is on a Q6600 @ 3.3GHZ with 5 GB RAM.Did not have this problem on earlier versions of FireFox...[/citation]
I typically run 18~30 tabs with Opera... it saves my tabs, history, etc. Plus the grouping feature rocks. I'm on a 2.4Ghz Q6600 system... Opera runs fine and much faster than that you are experiencing.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]firefox_douche4life[/nom]Dear non-software dev types criticizing Firefox' new release schedule ~~~ With shorter releases, you can focus on getting a few new features at a time out the door, and bug-free, and done right.PS: Just because you don't find the rapidly changing numerical suffix to Firefox to your liking, doesn't mean that your discontent is valid, or that anyone should care.[/citation]

Changing a font doesn't make a software version go from 6 to 7. FF 1~4 all had major changes that warrant such version number change. FF7 is still, in reality... 4.3. Chrome, in reality... is still 2.x... 3.x at the most. Hell, I'm make a stupid little app and call it version 42.0 (even thou its really 0.2 beta)

Our opinion on stupid version numbers ARE valid.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Massacher[/nom]i been using FF since 0.8 beta and its the best browser imo. it was the first to use tabs and then M$ copied that idea. has the best add-ons too![/citation]
Eer... no.
FF is NOT the first browser with tabs... not even close. Since the mid 90s, Opera (before it was renamed Opera) was a multi-windowed browser, but didn't have tabs as we know them. Around 1997, some guy re-worked IE (2 or 3) into his own custom browser which had tabs at the bottom. Very few people actually ever used this.
1999, IBrowse is the first browser to support tab browsing built in. You never heard of this because this was for the Amiga, a 1992 tech platform that is pretty much dead.
- June 2000, Opera 4 has a tabbed browser. (I don't think FF is even beta and it wasn't FireFox back then).
- Jan 2003, Opera 7 is released with a modern tabbed browser.... FF 1.0 isn't released until Nov 2004.... 2 years AFTER Opera7!

Not until OCT 2006 does MS include a tabbed browser... the horrible IE7.

So no... FF was not the first.

I don't like that I was just automatically updated to FF 7 from FF 6. I didn't go get it or anything, just clicked on a link and FF updated on its own. That is NOT a way a program should work.

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Eer... no.FF is NOT the first browser with tabs... not even close. Since the mid 90s, Opera (before it was renamed Opera) was a multi-windowed browser, but didn't have tabs as we know them. Around 1997, some guy re-worked IE (2 or 3) into his own custom browser which had tabs at the bottom. Very few people actually ever used this.1999, IBrowse is the first browser to support tab browsing built in. You never heard of this because this was for the Amiga, a 1992 tech platform that is pretty much dead.- June 2000, Opera 4 has a tabbed browser. (I don't think FF is even beta and it wasn't FireFox back then).- Jan 2003, Opera 7 is released with a modern tabbed browser.... FF 1.0 isn't released until Nov 2004.... 2 years AFTER Opera7!Not until OCT 2006 does MS include a tabbed browser... the horrible IE7.So no... FF was not the first.[/citation]

ahh good to know. i guess u learn something new everyday. we got our first computer in 1997, so i don't really know much about what software was around before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.