Firefox 8 Now Available For Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
the version number doesnt stand for any major change. you can't keep posting articles for every version. as far as i'm concerned if the interface hasnt changed its still 4.0.

of the way

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]the version number doesnt stand for any major change. you can't keep posting articles for every version. as far as i'm concerned if the interface hasnt changed its still 4.0.[/citation]

It's gotta be at least 4.0.5.

modbus

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
[citation][nom]makaveli316[/nom]So what's new in version 8?[/citation]
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]The 8[/citation]

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Well it updates without the person needing to know how to download it. It wont let toolbars just install without you truly wanting them. I am not connected to any browser and if one is better then the other, I will switch. FireFox is built by the people, not corporation with infinity funding, right?

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Looking back, we are technically at approximately 4.1.3 (or 6, depending on lower digit verison numbering) with firefox 9 being 4.2.

Firefox 5 added the CSS 3 / HTML 5 standards into the browser in full implementation, so thats a big deal. Firefox 9 adds type inference like V8 has that makes Jagermonkey competitive with V8 again, so thats a big deal. 6 - 8 just did some light UI tweaks and optimizations, so nothing important there.

The biggest downfall about the rapid release ideology is you can no longer hype a version. You can't say Firefox X will be a big deal because its only 3 months since X - 1 came out and 3 months until X + 1. It hurts products more than helps them, especially at the corporate level, where they don't rapidly update browsers and running Firefox 4 when Firefox 8 is coming out and Firefox 10 is the currently alpha drives sysadmins insane because they have no idea the difference in standards and security between any two versions, whereas a jump from something like 3.X to 4.X meant a big deal.

Now there are no big deals, and that, in my opinion, hurts the product.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
This article explains it nice and short. Waiting for version 10. but in the meaning time they made some nice tweaks to the software..
http://www.tested.com/news/whats-new-in-firefox-8-and-why-were-waiting-for-firefox-10/3126/

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]I just love not having to click anything to update chrome[/citation]

In Aurora they do this and i believe in the new version they will be doing this so you dont have to think about updating.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]markheber[/nom]Is not the memory management better with this release? Smaller memory foot print?[/citation]
I really hope so, but I doubt it. This is by far the #1 request from users, but they seem to be ignoring it in the rush to jam more features in. Who really wants a twitter search? I've never even met a person IRL that uses twitter.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Well, I shall stay with Firefox as long as Mozilla doesn't make an update service that runs even when Firefox does not. But yes, waiting for 10. :)

ntrceptr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Firefox is getting removed from my PC my home page is plain HTML located on my HDD and even it takes many seconds to load. Firefox was my choice of browser in the past due to it's speed and at one time was more secure.
see ya FF my PC in back on the market...lol

Single PC looking for Web Browser.
- must be responsive to my needs.
- non memory eater.
- must not be old and clunky.
- Must accept my WinXP baggage
(not enough DirectX 11 to make me adopt Win7 yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.