Firefox 8 Release Candidate Published for Download

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wlachan

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Don't miss the chance. The final release should be called FF9! And don't forget to change the icons and make it FF10 a week later. Chrome must be beaten at all cost.

jtennison

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Oh boy, another new release. I can hardly wait to discover (the hard way) what "feature" has disappeared in the new release.

G

Mozilla Firefox keeps crashing on my computer. I anyone else having this problem?
Rosy Posy

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Does Chrome? Does IE? Does Opera? Doubt it. That's what Intel Turbo Boost is for - if some program is only using one core, boost that one.[/citation]

Yea, Chrome does.

G

My notebook is 32 bit, it runs just fine,speed is excellent, and rarely crashes. I will keep my discrete graphics and 1680x1050 WXGA display is so much sharper than the newer notebooks with lower resolution.

I agree that most of the issues are related to add-ons. I find the version things comical....maybe by end of next year FF will be at version 99 (no relationship to the 99%).

G

If firefox has nothing major to offer, the fuck are they doing releasing new versions after another? Everything looks the same to me.

Newsflash firefox, "new version" typically means major changes, and I don't see major changes when I update.

n like typical users i dont give a rat's ass what you did under the hood, as long as you don't screw up my browsing.

Adding one or two tweaks does not warrant a new version, period.

Pathetic, this 'I have a bigger version than you HAHA' race.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Does Firefox 8 support using more than 1 core of a CPU? Doubt it. Pass...Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for you but you have to support SMP..Why should 3 of my 4 cores be idle while I'm waiting for 20 tabs to open up?[/citation]
Rendering is already gpu accelerated numb nuts. There's no point in adding multi-core support.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I agree this stupid race to new versions is nothing more than posturing and fluff, not only that it increases the chances for serious bugs with each version.
STOP THE INSANITY! Google and Chrome look like little kids bickering about nothing, ..."My dad's stronger than your dad!...uh uhhh my dad's stronger than your dad!..uh uhhhh"

G

danwat1234: If you're CPU is pegged out at 100% waiting for pages to open, then it's time for an upgrade. That's most likely your slow internet that's holding you up. Only websites with ridiculous amounts of javascript or plugins consume a lot of CPU, and most every reputable website does not fall in that category.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
With this new revision policy, Firefox 3 and all its sub-versions will look like Windows XP - it was there for ages before get replaced!

G

I believe that Firefox "race to the highest number" is a pain in the rear. Software vendors have to release patches just to make it compatable with the latest Firefox version. Even though it is compatible, they just have to release a patch declaring that it is. Just stick to what IE is doing. "Fixing" Internet Explorer without making prior add-ons incompatable. :cry: :fou:

The new tab-related features are taken straight from extensions that have been doing this ever since 4.0. I speculate that this was probably to lighten the load Firefox throws at the system upon startup - we all know Firefox starts up extremely slowly and consumes a lot of resources when resuming sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.