Firefox for Android to Get an Overhaul with Native UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

festerovic

Distinguished
hmm. I get great results with the android browser on droid 2. So far, Firefox on the droid is slower, and it just seems to be a port of the PC version instead of something that was designed to be used on a phone. Firefox, you will have to bring it to get ahead of the onboard android browser.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]fancarolina[/nom]Shouldn't it have been written this way to begin with?[/citation]

Its easier to port xul.os and have the massive overhead than rewrite the browser from scratch. Most of Firefox is written in C++, so it can cross compile alot of its dynamic libraries into Android. It will take a LOT of work to rewrite xul for minimum memory footprint, the file is about 25 megabytes on Windows. Its a lot of code, and it is the vast majority of Firefox's code base.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I downloaded the firefox browser App for my nexus s but was seriously disappointed in performance and its lack of flash support. I hear all of what folks say about HTML5 & flash and blah blah blah but honestly, the web sucks without it. Opera mobile on the other hand, got it right the first time. It is now my default browser of choice.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I'm currently using Firefox in my tablet (Thrive) as of today I prefer it, it opens the Tom's website (or iToms if you are worried about the # of iphones news) without crashing like Opera's browser with its last update (before the update I had no problems......)

isamuelson

Distinguished
How about flash support?

As it is, Dolphin HD is an excellent browser. It's fast, supports flash and it even has a smaller version that is even lighter for those with less powerful droids.

Firefox is behind the eight-ball on this one.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I'm currently using Firefox in my tablet (Thrive) as of today I prefer it.

My Thrive crashes on www.seekingalpha.com . Can't seem to get a browser that won't crash the tablet in that website, although my Samsung Galaxy s2 phone has no problems.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]isamuelson[/nom]How about flash support?As it is, Dolphin HD is an excellent browser. It's fast, supports flash and it even has a smaller version that is even lighter for those with less powerful droids.Firefox is behind the eight-ball on this one.[/citation]
I absolutely agree with you isamuelson.. Dolphin HD is blowing away the competition right now. If you haven't tried it you should. I prefer the tabbed browsing style to the regular browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.