Firefox Market Share Drops Again, Chrome Set to Overtake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
[citation][nom]spazoid[/nom]http://www.google.dk/search?gcx=c& [...] &q=browser1st hit: Wiki page2nd hit: Firefox3rd hit: Chrome'nough said.[/citation]

I clicked on your link.....not quite the same.

1st hit: Wiki page
2nd hit: Chrome
3rd hit: Firefox

Maybe not enough said....

cesar44

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
This article is misleading. If you download StatCOunter data you'll see:

Date IE Firefox Chrome Safari Opera Other

2011-09 41.66% 26.79% 23.61% 5.60% 1.72% 0.62%
2011-10 39.47% 26.95% 24.96% 6.09% 1.83% 0.70%
Change -2,19% 0.16% 1.35% 0.49% 0.11% 0.08%

So Firefox actually grew by 0.16%, although Chrome seems to be growing by a faster rate, thanks to smartphones mainly. The eye-popper here is that MS IE dropped by 2% and at the current rate, by March 2012 Chrome would be the new Leader of the pack and, in the following month, Firefox would overtake Internet Explorer.

Date IE Firefox Chrome Safari Opera Other
2011-09 41.66% 26.79% 23.61% 5.60% 1.72% 0.62%
2011-10 39.47% 26.95% 24.96% 6.09% 1.83% 0.7%
2011-11 37.28% 27.11% 26.31% 6.58% 1.94% 0.78% (estimated)
2011-12 35.09% 27.27% 27.66% 7.07% 2.05% 0.86% (estimated)
2012-01 32.90% 27.43% 29.01% 7.56% 2.16% 0.94% (estimated)
2012-02 30.71% 27.59% 30.36% 8.05% 2.27% 1.02% (estimated)
2012-03 28.52% 27.75% 31.71% 8.54% 2.38% 1.10% (estimated)
2012-04 26.33% 27.91% 33.06% 9.03% 2.49% 1.18% (estimated)

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]win7guru[/nom]Chrome is the best for one major reason; it auto-updates flash and the browser. What could be better?[/citation]
This is the reason why I prefer to use Firefox. I don't want to have a permanent service running in the background of my computer to check for browser updates even if the browser isn't running. Why not check when the browser is running like firefox does?

G

I think everyone is kind of missing an underlying point: innovation through competition. Regardless of which browser you are using at the moment, all of its advances (even shortcomings and all) are a direct result of innovation, through competition. Look at the history - Chrome turned heads with a minimalistic interface and now everyone is doing it. Chrome tries to make sure that one tab does not crash the whole browser, everyone now tries to do the same (crashes sometimes still do happen). Those are just some examples but the bottom line is, this has caused everyone to try and one-up-each-other. How is that a completely bad thing for us the consumer? For me it doesn't matter which browser you use or are a fanboy/girl of, everyone (internet browsers) have to proverbially have to pull their socks up.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
A little story: So yesterday, I was browsing the ancient archives of the interwebs... Some old webcasts from circa 2007... So 1st, I tried using FF7.1 to view the content. No luck. It 'required' IE 5 (FIVE) or later, and the latest version of Java. Hmmm... Okay... So, I try my 'latest version' of IE (IE 9 on W7)... I try to run the EXACT SAME PAGE... No luck.. You know, because IE9 is too new... So I'm like, fine, I'll use IE9's compatibility mode! Surely that will work... No luck. It got a little further, rendering the page... But the streaming content was as good as dead... In desperation, I try again with Opera, and then Chrome, and even SAFARI... All are not IE5, and therefore is incompatible...

Finally, I go back to good, ole Firefox 7.1. In desperation, I look for an IE tab add on for FF. I download it. I try and render the page again... SUCCESS!!!

FF, add ons, and some patients, saves the day!

I love you FF...

gavjof

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Being a web designer I use many browser through my day. Firefox is my favourite. It's all down to personal preference. Sure Chrome is fast and minimal, but I don't think we can see a noticeable difference when using browsing.

I hate the minimal interface of chrome and how it refuses to allow me to customise my layout/toolbars. Firefox does. This is my main problem with Chrome. It does not feel like it's my browser.

A bongobongo said Firefox Panorama is awesome and it helps when you have 80+ tabs open. Memory issues seem to have disappeared.

Chrome may be fast but I often find it feels sluggish and laggy when viewing HQ images in a browser window.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]safety rider[/nom]Chrome does have adblock just go tool > extension[/citation]
All browsers have adblocking programs, some people are just capable of having them on the page and "not noticing them", the same way you just zone-out billboards when driving.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
I find Opera never gets the respect it deserves as being a truly innovative browser, so much of what a modern browser is--Opera pioneered.

I don't think it's Firefox that Chrome is stealing the market share from, IE seams to be the easiest crowd to convert, especially now that Google Chrome has TV advertising. I like to use Chrome's handy "Create Application Shortcuts" function to populate my computer with "web-based" applications.

anubis44

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
The strengths of Firefox seem to outweigh the strengths of Chrome:

1) Same browser across all platforms
2) Ability to have a f&*king standard 'File Edit View' menu across the top of the window like we've been using since 1983 with the Apple Lisa (can't STAND the goddam buried menu in Chrome - I don't need my browser dumbed down thank you very much)
3) The super-cool array of plugins
4) The fact that it's not provided by a large corporation hell-bent on world domination (I don't think we need to be helping Google control the world any more than we already do by using their search engine)
5) Firefox Sync (it's ultra cool to have access to all your bookmarks from any machine you use!)
6) Firefox 7 seems to run even faster than Chrome for many operations

Any more strengths of Firefox I've missed?

Thanks

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]AMD X6850[/nom]Not funny droking =PIt's a shame cos Firefox has actually fixed up its major issues.It no longer uses a ton of memory, it starts quickly, freezing in one tab doesn't affect another.People complain about Flash crashing with Firefox but it's never happened to me so it's not an issue for me.Some people who use Chrome reckon its awesome (and themselves too XD) and start going on about it but when you ask them questions about why it is so, they just give me the generic "it's faster and better" but can't explain anything more than that. I'd say they are more of a dumbass than someone who uses IE because "it's there".[/citation]

It is better, it just is... actually its not had memory leak problems and has the plugins that i used as i switched to firefox in the first place. Been using chrome for the last 2 years almost exclusively. i used to have all 3 browsers and use them all, i have slowly migrated to using chrome more and more until i eliminated firefox completely. Ad-Block, X-Marks + Google has some nice browser applications to make things like flixter or weather more interactive. Now i was a huge supporter of firefox for quite a while and i'm not above going back to it, but give me a reason that chrome users should go back to firefox or give it a shot

animesh singh

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
[citation][nom]cryio[/nom]The market share thing is somewhat of nonsense. The statistics are not really...acurate. Look for example at Opera. It's market share is incredible small, but only by statistics. Because Opera doesn't send it's request to the servers HOST everytime when someone refreshes the page. It's called memory caching done wright, and maybe this also happens to Firefox as of late.IE9 and Chrome: Please catch up to the standards.[/citation]
Ummm, yes, Google Chrome does have AdBlock. You can access it on the Chrome Web Store.

G

My latest version of Firefox likes to just blow out of being connected and you get an oops we're sorry message/ do you want to reconnect. It's acting more like IE instead of Chrome.

moonsite

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2001
I used both FireFox and Chrome. Chrome crashed on me more than firefox when it comes to flash. But I recently had a problem with FireFox 7. It will not load the game I Google+ and won't give any reason. That is such a pain. I had to resort to using IE and Chrome.

G

Little doubt that Chrome is a good browser. The main reason I don't like Chrome is because it's from Google. I know, i know, it may sound very idiotic, and Google fans are gonna crush me into paste, but I simply don't want Google to have full control over my internet life. Look, I am already using Google Maps, Google Earth, Google Search, Google Images, Gmail... (and probably Android in the future)on a daily basis (or weekly for some), and now I'm gonna use a Google browser too!? Hell...my entire life's already on Google's hands...

I use Firefox. It's probably the best alternative to Chrome, and most importantly I like Mozilla's ideology (omg I sound like a geek/fanboy): principle over profit, honesty over secrecy. Remember, Google's mostly about profit, Mozilla's on the other hand is all about the ethical values. And that's why I choose Firefox (it's fast and it seldom crashes on me, for real)

Manicslayer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
The minimalist UI of Chrome is great, and it's quick. I understand it's preference, but the people who like a bunch of stuff on their UI are the type of people who love tons of icons on their desktop. I'm the type of person who just has what I use on the task bar with my background completely open for view. Simple, organized, and quick to access. Only point for Firefox over Chrome so far is Firefox Sync....that's it imo. Firefox uses way more resources than Chrome when I run them both, but I'm not too concerned with either bring my desktop to a crawl. BTW, I'm submitting this comment whilst using Firefox :)

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I had to switch to Chrome, it felt like the only option for me. I use to be a die hard fan of Firefox, but after they started messing with their user interface it annoyed me a bit, but than with their releases and how it kept breaking it's compatibility with the extensions I used I just called it quits.

Thought about Opera, it's a good browser don't get me wrong but for some reason whenever I used it in the past I was just never a fan of it.

Couldn't use IE, too many bad memories tied to it from IE6. Also bashed it too many times after I found Mozella (pre-firefox) to convert back to it.

So the only major browser I could think of was Chrome, after I got over it's interface and quirks its a good browser. And it never broke compatibility with the extensions I used to date something Firefox could never claim which is a big deal to me.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I like the customizability of Firefox. It gives me the ability to unfuck anything that is fucked up by the developers in the name of 'progress'.

mirage_59

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I like that Firefox doesn't track my internet history and send the information to Google and its advertisers, unlike Chrome

gavjof

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
AdBlock Plus? Meh! The main thing that stopped me using Chrome so much was the fact that you cannot get NoSript for it. Now it has a similar extension named NotScript.

Status
Not open for further replies.