Firefox to Block Online Tracking by Default

Status
Not open for further replies.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i hope it is as thorough as it sounds like they intend. be a shame to start out well and then bow to the almighty dollar. sucked that ad-block plus took the money and started allowing a lot of what was once blocked to load again.

hopefully firefox goes full on nuclear and stops as much as they possibly can.

I would be amazed if Mozilla takes money but to be fair I have seen a lot of freeware apps that used to be made to help the consumer turn around and put their hands in the cookie jar.

That said, when they do eventually something comes along to replace it. When Super Anti Spyware went all crazy Spyware Search and Destroy came along. Now that AdBlock has taken the kool-aide uBlock Origin and Ghostery have stepped up to the plate. I do feel for them though. Its hard to dedicate time to a free application.

Sep 1, 2018
Sounds good but I just removed Firefox from my 2 PCs due to frequent browser hijack attempts. I will not try Firefox again.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

so you went somewhere sketchy and FF saved you from infection and in response you abandon what saved you??? hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm sounds about right.....:sarcastic:

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
malwarebytes has a new ad/pop up blocker that I've been using in tandem with ublock. Firefox about to give me another layer of protection, one of the many reasons why I've stayed with them as my main browser over the years.

CerianK

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
That is good news.

Mainstream deployment of crypto-mining-blocking is overdue. Luckily, Add-ons have been available, but the average person would not know that they need to install it.

Hopefully, they will take enough time to test all of this before it hits the release channel... I had to install and use the 32-bit version on 2 different older PCs to mitigate launch and lockup issues with some of the early Quantum 64-bit versions.

One of them is back on 64-bit successfully. But I haven't had time to upgrade and test the other one, which is running on 11yo Dual Xeon CPU motherboard (4C8T in 2007!) and 7yo GTX560 GPU. Single-thread rating sucks, but can play back most 4K videos at ~30FPS. It would be too sad to throw that old beast in the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS