Firefox Updated With New Sleek Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
I use Firefox because its NOT like Chrome...
Now Firefox is becoming like Chrome? Looks like I'll have to hang on to my old Firefox exe files.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I've been using this interface in Firefox Aurora for a few weeks now and I have to say while sleek and futuristic it is; the simplification of the user interface has made some things even more elaborate to get to whereas the old UI was a click or two and you were there.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Just like with windows 8 getting the good stuff back is as easy as installing an addon, you can also still use much of the old interface in the settings but with classic theme restorer you can do more then you could before even: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/classicthemerestorer/?src=userprofile

still even without that you can get rid of most of the new stuff and getting a menu bar back is still a standard option, you can even put it in the same bar as the window buttons. So you can still do more then just restore the damage. sadly tabs on bottom do require an addon now (I think)

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
To much like Chrome.
But since Firefox is open-source, the addons, themes, etc. will arrive in abundance soon, if not already.

A little late on the news.
That's why I find myself never really coming to Tom's anymore. Ars, Techspot, and the others report it days sooner, and do more original articles too.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
So it's still the slowest to load pics making you wait until they all load before you can access the page and if the pics refresh you have to wait until they all refresh before you can continue. Where? try Huffington Post main page.

Very nice! Perfect timing, too, since I just switched from IE 11 to Firefox due to the major IE security bug. I like the low system memory usage. For those who have not switched to Firefox yet, now's the time to do so.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I will have to try it... but I do prefer the layout of FF28 over Chrome's labyrinth menu structure. Not that the deeper parts of FF's settings is any better.

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I guess people never learned the old adage "Don't fix what isn't broken."

Yahoo has gone through several iterations, each worse than the prior. Windows replace the wonderful Windows 7 with the miserable 8. Now Mozilla.

I really hate change for change's sake.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I don't like the fact that can't seem to move the reload button where I want and the forward button isn't always present and hides or disappears from sight.

I don't really care for the eye candy flashiness personally I just want minimalism, functionality, and security.

TL2

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
I want TABS ON BOTTOM! Give it back! or put the bars on bottom!

You can, it just takes a bit of know how.
1) in your Firefox address bar type in ' about:config ' It will give you a warning, but we know what we're doing.
2) find the entry ' browser.tabs.onTop ' and double click or right click and select toggle to set this entry to False.
enjoy having your tabs on the bottom again.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Installed update, hated it, switched to pale moon aka Firefox without the BS.

Hmmm I've been hanging on to Firefox 17 to avoid all the annoying changes they've been making. There's been the odd website with scripting problems though so I wanted to find something else. I hadn't heard of Pale Moon... gonna go grab that now! Thanks!

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Yep, just had to re-install, and way too many annoying changes in Firefox.

Pale Moon downloaded, and so far so good.

Installed update, hated it, switched to pale moon aka Firefox without the BS.

Hmmm I've been hanging on to Firefox 17 to avoid all the annoying changes they've been making. There's been the odd website with scripting problems though so I wanted to find something else. I hadn't heard of Pale Moon... gonna go grab that now! Thanks!

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Commenters saying this cosmetic change makes things more efficient? Most of you are probably not even running at 800x600 like me. I remember such ooold program interfaces that'd actually scale properly at all different resolutions, but now idiotic "sleek" menus take up half the screen just cause lazy/incompetent programmers don't bother testing on different configs.
For example, is anyone else's web browser annoyingly jumping down to next article when you try to scroll to the 'comments' section? This new Tom's page layout is just garbage ...

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
There's an add-on called "Classic Theme Restorer". With it, I made Firefox 29 look like the customized Firefox 28 that I'm used to. This add-on allows you to move the tabs to the bottom.

I'm not sure what they've been doing at the Huffpo, but it is something in the way that they are doing their webpages over the past few months. It does it on my Android phone on Google, and it does it on my computer with I.E. and Google.

I believe it is something to do with the advertisements that they are displaying in-line, on Huff-Po.

Status
Not open for further replies.