Firewall/ICS service enabled for MSBRWOSE...

I was having problems making my laptop the designated PC in my LAN the
master browser. NetBIOS/TCP was enable properly on each PC. The issue
was in the fact that the Firewall/ICS service on this XPSP2 PC had to
be "started" even though I could "disable" the firewall. Can someone
explain why this service effects a PC acting as the master browser in
SP2 while this is not true in SP1?

Secondly, why does the FW/ICS service slow down the LAN connections
between PCs for file/print sharing but the Internet connections
(activities) seem to be uneffected, performance wise?